madh/madk import support would be nice

Started by ejonesss, December 09, 2021, 20:04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

ejonesss

it would be nice to have playerpro madh support.

playerpro is a mac tracker editor program.

unfortunately it has been abandoned but fortunately made open source at sourceforge.

i am not sure if we are allowed to post links so do a google search for playerpro rosset .

being open source you should not have any legal issues with supporting importing of madh and madk files.

i have a bunch of madh files of it, mtm, midi and such i would like to extract to newer still supported programs.

exporting to xm or s3m has problems as it compresses the instrument samples and changes the octaves and sometimes portions of the songs go missing.

going directly from madh to it for the songs that was originally it would be best.

i would have posted to feature requests but i am not sure if new users are allowed to post there or if that is reserved for developers/ financial donors/vips.

if this is the wrong place to post you moderators/admins are welcome to move it to the correct place.

thanks

Saga Musix

Welcome to the OpenMPT community.
Quote from: ejonesss on December 09, 2021, 20:04:51
i would have posted to feature requests but i am not sure if new users are allowed to post there or if that is reserved for developers/ financial donors/vips.
Everyone is welcome to post feature requests on our issue tracker (which is also the correct place to report bugs).

I have forked the PlayerPro repository on GitHub a while ago as I was also interested in this topic but I haven't had a look at it yet, so I cannot give any estimate how realistic this is to happen. If its own XM export has issues with producing accurate files, there's a certain chance that OpenMPT by itself won't fare much better.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ejonesss

i think by having madh/madk support there would be no need to first export to xm or s3m in playerpro then bring the file and save to it.

i tried to search for "Saga Musix" and no listing so either you have a different username in github or an overzealous dmca takedown system took it down.

there was no new post button in the new. features section and i even tried changing the board id from 1.0 witch is the general chat to 9.0 witch is the new features and i got the message i am not allowed to post there co that is why i suspected it is a premium place so maybe i have to wait a while as some boards dont allow new users to post to certain places due to spam issues.

other boards may wait for so many replies from a new user to other sections before allowing posting to certain sections to ensure. that they are legit users.

because rosset abandoned the project i want to move my collection of madh files away from player pro to something better.

Saga Musix

Quote from: ejonesss on December 09, 2021, 21:50:23
i think by having madh/madk support there would be no need to first export to xm or s3m in playerpro then bring the file and save to it.
That's not my point; the point is that if PlayerPRO itself isn't able to export properly to XM format, then it may very well be the case that OpenMPT, fundamentally being based on MOD, S3M, XM and IT playback logic, might not do a better conversion job. If the format is too different from either of those four formats, then OpenMPT will probably not be able to do a faithful import of every fail. But as said, I haven't had a look, and I won't have time to do so anytime soon, so I cannot promise anything. It could be really easy, but it could also be next to impossible. But the fact that the application uses two different file formats already doesn't inspire much confidence that it's going to be easy.

Quote from: ejonesss on December 09, 2021, 21:50:23i tried to search for "Saga Musix" and no listing so either you have a different username in github or an overzealous dmca takedown system took it down.
I use different user names on different platforms but it's not relevant at all. I made a copy of the original repository, nothing more and nothing less. There is nothing to see in that fork. I just tend to make forks of repositories I am interested in because more often than note the original repository disappears from the internet after a while.

Quotethere was no new post button in the new. features section
The feature request forum is an archive of old feature requests from the times before we had an issue tracker. It even says so in the description of that board - there's a link to the issue tracker in bold letters - and the sticky topic at the top of the board.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ejonesss

the only other option i have is to either export the midi notes in playerpro and re import in mpt or get an midi proxy if there is a device that would be recognized by 2 programs and have playerpro play through a device and record on another program to extract the midi notes.

or buy an midi keyboard that has a floppy drive or some means to record the notes to disk and import the midi file and bring in the samples separately.

hopefully someone will find a solution even if it is commercial paid software or hardware.