running MPT via wine on imac with catalina 10.15.7???

Started by AngelDust, December 02, 2021, 11:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

AngelDust

it doesn't work and i don't know how to fix it.

MPT always ran perfect on my imac with OSX el capitan, but since upgrading the OS, modplug doesn't even open..

i've tried updating wine to latest version but didn't solve it..

any ideas?

thank you.

Saga Musix

It's a known issue that the 64-bit build currently doesn't work on Wine. This is due to an incompatibility between Wine and and some code generated by Visual Studio, with no fix or workaround being announced from either side: https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=1424

I know this is extra annoying on macOS because of dropped 32-bit support. You might have better luck with CrossOver since that allows running 32-bit Windows apps. I know it's not free but there's a trial version available, so at the very least you can use that to confirm that this does in fact work. Other than that, the only known solution at the moment is to stick to macOS 10.14, the last version supporting 32-bit executables.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AngelDust

Thank you. Damn.. Crossover cost $499  :-\
I've downloaded it to try.

Saga Musix

That's the version with lifetime support, of course you could just get the version that comes with one year of support instead, which is far cheaper. Then after a year you can always decide if you really want to renew the license e.g. because you need an important bugfix that's only available in a later version. Chances are that you won't need Crossover anymore in 8 years (at least not for the reason of this thread here) when the lifetime license becomes cheaper.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.