Author Topic: Soundfont mapping in sampler broken  (Read 425 times)

Offline Music Enthusiast

• Shy artist
Soundfont mapping in sampler broken
« on: November 11, 2021, 16:37:42 »
The sf2 soundfont mappings in the sampler is completely broken in 1.29.13.0, it is also broken in 1.29.12.0, the grand piano sounds like some sci-fi sound and the drums don't make any sounds, I thought this stuff was fixed, it is worse then ever. I'm running windows 10 64 bit Version 21H1, I'm using GeneralUser GS v1.471.sf2.

Could this be a windows bug messing up OpenMPT?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 17:09:43 by Newbie »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Soundfont mapping in sampler broken
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 18:04:24 »
Windows can be blamed for many things but not for the poor compatibility between how soundfonts work and how OpenMPT's internal sampler works. Simply put: The probability that there is a bug in Windows so bad that it makes OpenMPT extract the wrong sample from a soundfont but otherwise all applications keep working is next to 0. You can stop mentioning this every time you discover a bug in OpenMPT.

The problem only seems to appear when putting the soundfont into OpenMPT's MIDI library, not when loading it as a stand-alone soundfont via the "Add Sound Bank" item. This hints at the MIDI library code looking for drum instruments where it shouldn't, because the sound you're hearing is a drum kit sound rather than a melodic sound.

Last but not least, if you need good SF2 support, I'd recommend using a VST plugins such as Sobanth or Sforzando, because those are unlikely to have this sort of bugs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2021, 01:13:34 »
r15899 (which will probably be backported to OpenMPT 1.29) fixes various issues encountered with that particular soundfont (and probably other more advanced soundfonts). All issues that I could find are fixed, but don't hold your breath - there are probably more, and they're not Windows bugs.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline Music Enthusiast

• Shy artist
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2021, 00:09:02 »
Has r15899 been added to Master branch on Github?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 00:13:23 by Music Enthusiast »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2021, 01:09:51 »
Yes, our GitHub mirror is updated automatically. In the meantime the fixes have also been backported for the next OpenMPT 1.29 release.

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 17:15:09 »