Author Topic: MPTRewire 1.0 - Mix your music in realtime with Ableton  (Read 680 times)

Offline vananaBanana

• Shy artist
  • Operating System: Windows & Ubuntu
MPTRewire 1.0 - Mix your music in realtime with Ableton
« on: September 27, 2021, 10:32:53 »
MPTRewire 1.0 has been released! Some nasty bugs have been fixed aswell as a smoother setup.

Hi folks!
I've been working on and off on a neat little project for the last couple of months.

Essentially it is a ReWire implementation for OpenMPT, meaning every channel and plugin gets routed toward your master DAW to perform mixing and mastering.
It may or may not work with other DAWs that support ReWire, but I primarily designed and tested it on Ableton.

Here's a video of it in action (Yes I know I have childish humour and bad music taste):
https://youtu.be/2FeAu1IHJ50

Download:
Make sure to grab the Ableton Template project aswell.
https://github.com/vananasun/OpenMPT-Ableton

How to use:
Open OpenMPT.
Go to OpenMPT Setup navigate to the "Sound Card" and select the device "REWIRE- ReWire".
Open/create a module and press play, you will get an error, no worries (yet).
Load up Ableton.
In OpenMPT, press play again.
Voilla!

Known bugs:
  • Sample rate changing does NOT work yet! Use 44100hz in your mixer app!
  • Rarely, when having the Ableton window focussed the CPU skyrockets and lags out the sound (might have been fixed so tell me if it happens).
  • When Ableton closes unexpectedly and you restart playback it freezes for about 15 seconds, this is a problem with ReWire itself.
  • Cracking and popping in the sample/instrument preview channel (May have been fixed now).

Note: Currently it is closed-source for legal reasons, but once I get some stuff sorted out I will make it open-source ASAP!
Please email me for any questions & bug reports: mvandijk303@gmail.com

Cheers and I hope someone else has as much fun with it as I do :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 10:39:16 by vananaBanana »

Offline Rakib

• Crazy artist
  • Operating System: win7x64
Re: MPTRewire - Use OpenMPT with Ableton as mixer!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 23:14:26 »
Cool plugin, thanks for the effort. This can expand the use cases for OpenMPT..
^^