How to create samples with Notepad :)

Started by Metro28, September 10, 2021, 01:33:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Metro28

Hello there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today I'm going to show you how to create samples with Notepad.

The pictures show well what I mean.

1. Create a new text document.

2. Write anything (I recommend numbers).

3. Move the text document to the samples tab, and configure the sample.

4. Ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vojvodinosaurus

for me it only produces some clicks but no actual tones
!IMPORTANT!
You are allowed to remix my songs ONLY in TRANCE/GOA/PSYTRANCE GENRE and NO Trap HiHat Rolls PLEASE
My stuff: https://alonetone.com/vojvodinosaurus

Metro28

Saga Musix

You'd have to loop the sample to hear a proper tone. Anyway, there is absolutely no point in using this technique when you can simply draw a chip sample directly in OpenMPT's sample editor. You'll get much more predictable results much more easily.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

mabersold

True story: I used a QBasic file as a sample in a song once. Not a great idea musically, but in my defense, I was 16 and thought it was funny. I still have the song, but I never attempted to export the QBasic file from it to see if it still runs.

Exhale

I remember doing this with old - not open source - modplug tracker... I was a young teen at the time, and I thought it was cool... now, saga is right, we have the ability to draw samples - far superior in every way (I can even draw a decent kick sometimes when I am not being lazy and just reaching for a vst), but it is nice to be reminded of the fun capabilities of modplug. I remember I generally just got noise out of the text turned into samples, but with longer and more complex stuff you can sometimes find something interesting and inspiring to play with.

peterpiper0815

Sometimes I use this feature to get sampledata out of my old hardware sampler library. I have an AKAI s900 and Casio FZ1 sampler. They both use floppy disks (of course).
For backups of these floppy disks I use the sofware omniflop which create an image backup file.
By dragging this imagefile into OpenMPT I can get the raw samples. Of course, there are some data chunks too that I delete.

LPChip

I've used this technique in the past to create a pulsewave by writing a small script that would output the numbers/letters into a text document that you can then import with a nice sweep etc.

It was fun but not anything that can't be easily beaten, such as using a free VST instrument, programming the sound you want, put it in an empty song on row 1, pattern 1, channel 1 and simply render that to a wav file and use that. Much higher quality and more importantly, easier and more options.

Then of course, the only real reason to go for wav files, is if you want backwards compatibility and release a module without vst's necessary, such as in demoscene music.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ASIKWUSpulse

Creating samples with notepad is a fun classic.

Used to do that a lot before I fully learned the sample editor in OpenMPT - it has got more features over time and if you know them all, it's really powerful and there's not much you can't do in terms of sample-editing and even chip-wave designing with it (except recording and combine two samples into a stereo sample I guess :P.... actually feels like the "combine into stereo" exists but that i don't know of it yet :o

But I do come back to notepad occasionally if I wanna get real creative with the bare raw sample-data :)
My favourite chord transition: Fmaj9 -> Gadd9 :D (I also like it's ±1 semitone variants)