How do I get my friend to update his OpenMPT?

Started by Metro28, August 29, 2021, 22:25:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Metro28

How do I get my friend to update his OpenMPT? (my friend has OpenMPT 1.22.03)
Give me ideas for me to make my friend update his OpenMPT!

Saga Musix

Give him the changelog and make him discover all the new useful features added since then. Let him read the compatibility issues fixed with various VST plugins, or let him play Professional Tracker by h0ffman and then compare it against how it's supposed to sound (in particular starting from about 1 minute in) in a recent OpenMPT version. There are tons of playback fixes in each OpenMPT release, so he will not hear other people's music the way it's intended to be played, and worse, if he releases music to the internet, everyone using a different player will not hear his songs correctly if they (accidentally) make use of buggy playback behaviour of that old OpenMPT version.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Also, if you create a tune in a newer version and you send him the source, his OpenMPT will tell him the file was made in a newer version.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

To be honest, if someone is used to using an almost 10 year old versions of OpenMPT at this point, their brain is already conditioned to just click that message away. At some point it will simply not be effective anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Exhale

I am sure you have asked the most basic question, how about letting us in on that information and maybe that would help us come up with some more specific advice. The question is "Why are you still using an outdated OMPT?"
The answer to that would be illuminating for our advice and if we cant figure out some reason to convince him or her to use a new version, then if nothing else it might give us something to consider.