[Perc only ?] Fote Loops - (XM)

Started by Sam_Zen, June 20, 2006, 00:13:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Mainly made with samples from the Dutch Fote Percussion ensemble.
Fallin'

XAVT

Y`know.. at first I playd it in winamp and it sounded horrible.. I decided that I was hearing it all wrong so I opened it in mpt... not much different :/
the samples are awful... theres no real progression i could sense in the track, most of the time I was waiting for it to end.
I asume it wasn`t a very serious project of yours ;)
A cigarette a day keeps the doctor at bay.
A joint a week makes him look unique.

Louigi Verona

OMG. Why wasn't that entry in the Noise Compo?  :lol:

apple-joe

Strange, but I somehow liked it. Quite different, and that's perhaps why I like it; because it provides inspiration for creating music with a slight original touch.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "XAVT"most of the time I was waiting for it to end.
I assume it wasn`t a very serious project of yours
You're lucky then, because the original compo is more than twice as long.
I take every project seriously, but indeed, this was an experimental one.

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"OMG. Why wasn't that entry in the Noise Compo?
Nice idea. Maybe I would have, if I had known about that competition.

Quote from: "apple-joe"creating music with a slight original touch
Slight ? Come on, where's the honour of the composer ?  :)
To be different shouldn't be a goal on its own. Being yourself, with your own criteria, creates a natural difference already. Sometimes.

apple-joe

SamZen: Yeah, breaking away from regular patterns, at least sometimes, is a good thing. That track had such influence for me I think. And OK, 'slight' was a very sparingly word in this context, heh heh.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

apart from the sound quality i really like this stuff  :D
somehow it's got some orchestral flair

with different instruments this could be a really cool bigbeat track!
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

AppO

I like this track. That's music and not "noise". There's an intention behind it. It's quite obsessive. Easily memorizable. It works.

Keep on tracking.

AppO

:P
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"apart from the sound quality
I must admit, samples of 8kHz 16 bit are quite low on the ladder.
If I had preferred to present a high-quality production, I would have placed an .ogg-file of that production, but I chose the .xm-file, maybe having a more raw impression of the result, but with included score as well.

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"somehow it's got some orchestral flair
Orchestral was indeed one of the intentions. That's why I sometimes used double playback of a percussion loop here. Multiplying the sound in a certain way simultaneously with a duplicated channel. With a simple copy the result is a double volume of course, but the potential to play around in two different channels with the same is quite significant.

Quote from: "BooT-SectoR-ViruZ"with different instruments this could be a really cool bigbeat track!
I'm afraid it's not that easy in this case, just replacing instruments.
Apart from the 'rain' sample, all samples are already containing a rhythmic pattern inside with a certain beat.
This leads to an inevitable tuned choice of playback speed-setting to keep the loops go on smoothly.
That's why all samples must have exactly the same byte-length, or multitudes of that number, to be able to exchange samples, without disturbing 'the flow'.
Load and play this in OMPT, and change Initial tempo or Ticks/row up and down, and you'll see what I mean. The whole piece goes into some limp.
So to change instruments in this compo, you'll need samples with the same properties, I guess.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

i didn't mean "exchange all samples". just wanted to say "cool beats, man!" ;)
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Sam_Zen

2 BooT
Sometimes I'm just too serious.

As said, this a short version. In the basic module the code E6x was often used at the end of patterns to repeat the pattern.
Maybe a bit too long, but, for comparison, one can find a production of that here . A zipped Ogg-file.

rncekel

Nice piece. It reminds me of my times as student of percussion at the Conservatory. Some sundays we went with our instruments to improvise in the park (and some days also at class). One of us (usually, me; I prefered to act as conductor rather than player) was the conductor and tell the others when to play predefined parts, the dynamics and tempo... This is something similar.

Sam_Zen

mikosoft

I think it's interesting. I like percussion only music, especially live, it has a great atmosphere.
And so is this tune. I almost saw the folks banging the instruments. Listening to raw samples I think you arranged them well and there are well defined ideas and transitions.
One downside are those deep sounds (deep flutes?!?) which sound a bit out of place when not played from starting beats. Otherwise, nice one.
Believe in Him and be free.

Sam_Zen

2 mikosoft
I agree about the 'deep sounds' (indeed flute- or chello-like). The samples have a quite slow attack, so they appear to be heard too late on the beat. I noticed that, and decided to let it be.
In live playing you have these timing differences also. Not all musicians play all the time exactly on the beat. Plus there is the physical distance from each other, so the sound from another player is heard a fraction of a second later.