Possible personal fork of OpenMPT

Started by Newbie, July 06, 2021, 16:28:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone, I have been thinking about building a personalized fork of OpenMPT and I would like to give my fork a new name but I can't seem to find where the about screen info is located in the source code, I need this to find this so I can change the name and ad it to the copyright screen and also remove the names of the contributors because I read somewhere on the OpenMPT website that any fork must not have the names of the contributors in the about screen.

I am doing this as a learning experience, I have already compiled OpenMPT myself using visual studio, this is the first time I have ever complied any source code ever.

Saga Musix

That's not really what the endorsement clause in the BSD license is about. Here's an explanation of the clause: https://opensource.stackexchange.com/questions/5996/in-software-licenses-what-does-the-endorsement-clause-exactly-protect-the-lic

In short, there is nothing you need to do if you just keep a personal fork that you don't give to other people. You wouldn't even have to rename the application. If you cannot locate the source that shows this message, you probably have much more important issues to solve first anyway. (Hint: Searching for known text across all files in a project is a great way to learn where things come from and where they are processed in code.)

PS: Typically, when a software is forked (i.e. beyond personal experimental forks), the original copyright notice is always retained. After all, just because someone new is working on the software doesn't mean that all the people previously working on it don't exist anymore. In particular, the BSD license (which OpenMPT uses) states: "Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer." so you cannot simply remove the original copyright notice. As mentioned above, that's not what the endorsement clause is about anyway.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.