Smacker Video Files

Started by Wodd, June 25, 2021, 20:13:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodd

This is my first post here in a long time and General Chatter might be the incorrect thread for this post. But, I am curious. Does OpenMPT open Smacker video (*.smk) files? (Chex Quest and, if my memory is correct, Sorry!, uses those.) I get the impression that revision 10437* does not. (I do not see it listed in any of the video type lists).
* revision 10437: I am well aware that my copy of OpenMPT is in serious need of an update. However, because of how I use it, I need the source code, which I currently do not have access to (at least, not the latest subversion). I found an installer for TortoiseSVN; but, I am sure that software has updated several times since my most recent use of it. I have not compiled OpenMPT code in a long time.
I love Daisy (デイジー)!

Saga Musix

If you find a Media Foundation codec for the format, it will. It's probably easier to convert them to something more common with the Bink & Smacker tool though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Wodd

Thank you for the reply. I am used to converting unsupported formats. I was simply curious because I had extracted the videos from the Chex Quest games and noticed that OpenMPT does not show *.smk in its format list for samples. Also, I knew that, as I mentioned in the initial post, my copy of OpenMPT is quite outdated and I had seen some new file format support added; but, I think that those were module formats. I wasn't sure if Smacker videos were supported. Based on your post, it seems that they are not supported natively.
I love Daisy (デイジー)!

Saga Musix

As OpenMPT is not a video editor, any video formats supported as samples purely come from MediaFoundation codecs. If a video format is not supported, it's because there's no MediaFoundation codec for it, and no, we will not add support for it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Wodd

Thank you for the information. Given that, as you stated, OpenMPT is not a video editor, its support for video formats is a nicety, not a necessity. Support for any additional formats is purely a factor of convenience for [mostly] the end user. Although support for any video format "imaginable" or "under the sun" would be a nicety for the elimination of the need for conversion, it is certainly not necessary, as said "any video format 'imaginable' or 'under the sun'" can be converted to a format supported by OpenMPT.
I love Daisy (デイジー)!