Author Topic: Using VST3 plug-ins with OpenMPT development  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Schmitty2005

• Shy artist
Using VST3 plug-ins with OpenMPT development
« on: November 08, 2020, 00:28:54 »
I have not found a recent update on the forums about the status of using VST3's in OpenMPT.

I am asking because NI (Native Instruments) has dropped some VST2 versions of there plugins.  My plug-ins were 'updated' and the VST2 version was removed by NI's Native Access.

I also have Wave's plugins that are all VST3 that I would like to use.   

Does anybody know the current statues of VST 3 in OpenMPT ?

Any suggestions for Free/OpenSource VST 3 to VST2 host, if they make such a thing  ?

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: Using VST3 plug-ins with OpenMPT development
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 01:16:57 »
No, there are no immediate plans for VST3 support. Many plugin and host creators didn't make the move because it's a very flawed and at the same time very complex plugin interface. Some VST3 plugins secretly still export a VST2 interface, so even if a plugin claims to just be a VST3 plugin, you can try loading it into OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline HEIYI

• Shy artist
  • Operating System: windows7 32-bit
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:12:59 »
Will openmpt support Chinese in the future  :)

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 08:04:39 »
Please do not ask unrelated questions in existing threads; open a new thread for new questions please.

The current code base of OpenMPT doesn't allow for easy localization; it's most likely something that will happen when/if we switch to the Qt framefork for multi-platform support, as it has great localization support.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline radian

• Shy artist
    • http://niceweatherforairstrikes.co.uk/
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 15:52:50 »
Any chance of reconsidering the anti-VST3 stance now that the VST 2.4 SDK is no longer available ?

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 16:04:40 »
There are still plenty of ways to write VST2.4 plugins and people will continue to do so (I'm not a lawyer but I think that a lot of things they claim with regards to what you are allowed to do with the VST2 SDK these days are legally questionable at best).
VST3 is a monster SDK that is terribly complex and noone but Steinberg asked for, and on top of everything, it's either proprietary or GPL-licensed (the latter is incompatible with OpenMPT's BSD license). As long as noone writes a more permissive implementation of the VST3 interface (that may very well be me but I have more important stuff to do at the moment), it's unlikely to happen.

Offline Rakib

• Crazy artist
  • Operating System: win7x64
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 22:28:57 »
Some VST3 plugins secretly still export a VST2 interface, so even if a plugin claims to just be a VST3 plugin, you can try loading it into OpenMPT.

Do you have any examples of this actually working, it just saddens me that many new plug-ins is only available in vst3 format only.
^^

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 22:31:46 »
I only tested a few VST3s but it worked with most of them. Lynx, Kx PolyMod, Roland Concerto, SquashIt are a few examples. Not sure if the latest changes to the VST3 SDK still allow for this, most of those files are a couple of years old (but even some plugins from that timeframe don't work so it's not just about age).

Offline Rakib

• Crazy artist
  • Operating System: win7x64
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 23:22:59 »
I dont get it, is modplug tracker able to load files ending with *.vst3?
I have not been able to do so.
^^

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 08:16:03 »
VST3 files are just renamed DLL files. Some of them may contain the VSTPluginMain entry point (the function in a DLL file that identifies a plugin to be a VST2 plugin) in addition to the VST3 entry point. If OpenMPT can find that entry pointin the file, it can load it as a VST2 plugin. Otherwise it can't. It's really up to the plugin. Maybe all plugins you tried don't have this additional entry point.

Offline Schmitty2005

• Shy artist
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2021, 13:51:23 »
I have found a VST host program that allows some major  functionality with VST3 and OpenMPT.

This can be loaded as a VST in OpenMPT, allowing for use (bridge) of VST3!

Element VST2/3 Host : https://kushview.net/element/

Here is a download link for an older version, available without support :
https://github.com/kushview/Element/releases/download/0.41.1/element-win64-0.41.1.exe

I was able to use my Waves VST3 delays, reverbs, and compressors and others with no problems.  VST instruments also worked!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 14:55:59 by Schmitty2005 »