any time-stretch effect command on .IT format?

Started by Grid, March 13, 2021, 03:31:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Grid

Hello! I was wondering if there's a way to achieve the time-stretch effect (like on the Samples tab > Time stretching) without needing to make multiple different samples. I've recently been tinkering more with commands and the way they affect samples to try and be more efficient with them and also to just have more control over them while I'm composing, however, I've tried reading thru the manual and such and I can't find anything for this. Is there a way to time-stretch a sample (or achieve a similar effect thru any specific pattern tricks) thru an effects command in the Patterns tab without having to make separate samples? I'm fine with either, but I was curious to know if this a possibility. Thank you!

herodotas

Only old school way possible.

Free trick  ;D: use sample grid in sample editor to define Oxx values
life is darker than it seems

Saga Musix

Yup, the example by herodotas shows nicely how it can be done. You can increase the pattern speed to make it more precise. That way, you can achieve the classic oldskool "Akai time-stretching effect" found on old MPC samplers. But of course it comes at the cost of much bigger patterns which makes them harder to edit, so having different samples might be a better solution.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Yes, and good old interpolate effects command is really helpful to set this up. You use the Oxx effect to determine which is the last setting, then put that at the end, O00 at the start, make a selection, then choose the command interpolate effects to make it a smooth transition from O00 to the the last Oxx. Adjust the speed of your pattern accordingly and voila.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

I thought I would take a look at this out of interest in seeing how you solved this problem and I am very impressed, and I think I might have improved your example a little bit heroditas making it so that the thing gates instead of playing the later parts of the sample when it is slowing down.
I hope this is welcome.
EDIT : Nope the gating doesnt actually seem to work the way I had hoped - my mistake, but at least it is an example of what saga and lpchip mentioned

herodotas

You're welcome, but the fact that timestretching algorithm in sample editor works better on slower tempo, than Oxx method. Also pitch down few semitones is welcome to. 
life is darker than it seems

Exhale

Quote from: herodotas on March 13, 2021, 20:55:48
You're welcome, but the fact that timestretching algorithm in sample editor works better on slower tempo, than Oxx method. Also pitch down few semitones is welcome to. 
I always enjoy looking at fluid time stretching that doesnt involve those two methods, I find the former can be lossey and often just doesnt sound the way I would hope, and the latter obviously pitches the sample down so if you want to keep the pitch of the beginning hit (as in the example you gave) it is not ideal.
I did a bit of work to show the power of splitting the sample up though - I managed to go a lot slower while still preserving the initial hit and using semi strategically placed bidi loops in each sample. This is the method I usually use for more fluid drumloop control. - of corse this method takes a lot more time and relies on us being able to read the loop well enough and we end up quantizing the hits to the tracker - so it isnt completely faultless either. (now that I think about it though, I dont think quantizing is quite as unavoidable as I treat it, my mind just works that way - we do have the 'configure sample grid tool' after all and using that they could be sliced into perfectly even slices without the quantizing I do just cutting them up by sight and ear)