Connecting with other OpenMPT heads

Started by DJ 2coats, February 15, 2021, 16:09:59

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ 2coats

Been using trackers since the IT days, hopped on MPT when it came out and have been using it off and on ever since.
Started really hardcore composing in it about 3 years ago.   Finally got a stable place to iron out the audio setup, been using OpenMPT more and more,
mostly out of familiarity with the commands allows a lot of freedom. 

Composing method has been different of late, cutting a lot of loops then manipulating and sequencing through OpenMPT.  Never used the offset command too much, now i'm all over it as you can really cut and chop samples like a DJ with that command.

Its a weird workflow.  I have a bunch of gear, two roland samplers, a volca and some odd keyboards.  I'll usually throw a beat on, record some riffage, cut that into loops and then get into OpenMPT.  Then I'll play more, cut the loops, add them in to OpenMpt and once I have enough sample material I'll start tracking other stuff out directly sequencing and then sequencing the loops out as well.   I upgraded my audio interface and got 4 into the computer now, so lately what I've done is sync all the MIDI gear to an old xp computer running Fruity Loops to act as the MIDI brain.  That way I can record some riffs clean them up and pattern things out in Fruity, then record all four tracks to basically get four independent samples per recording.  Since it's all sync'd, makes it easy to cut the drum loop and just use that to cut the other riffs out.  Essentially its an Ableton type setup but I have to manually cut the samples to get them into OpenMPT.  the results are interesting though.

I would like to see if anybody would like to look at some these demo project files and offer some input from a fellow MPT user perspective.  Can drop a google link if anyone is interested.

I've been digging the OPL features, and messing around with VSTS, but I notice FX and Vol commands don't really work on these, is that correct?  VSTs I have a bit of a blind spot on, have a small collection; does anybody have recommended VSTs for using in OpenMPT?  there sure is a lot out there.

Would definitely like to talk shop on this program, although I have been using for years some stuff I dont know about, like the deeper MIDI stuff and working the plugins to chain effects I havent dug into.
Have some of my own tricks for tracking that would like to bounce off others as well.

lemme know wassup

Saga Musix

Hello and welcome to the OpenMPT community.
QuoteI've been digging the OPL features, and messing around with VSTS, but I notice FX and Vol commands don't really work on these, is that correct?  VSTs I have a bit of a blind spot on, have a small collection; does anybody have recommended VSTs for using in OpenMPT?  there sure is a lot out there.
Most of them work but require a bit of manual setup; the problem is the world of modules and the world of MIDI (which VSTis belong into) are very different when it comes to some concepts such as volume and panning, so many things won't work out of the box. For example, there simply is no standardized way to change the volume of just one already playing note on a MIDI channel, which would be a requirement for tracker volume commands to work with plugins. The same applies to panning. There are some tricks to get the current panning and volume values from OpenMPT sent to a plugin (using MIDI macros) but they have to be set up manually. Maybe in the future these sort of things can be sorted out more easily as more plugins start to adopt the MPE standard, which would allow easier control of individual notes.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.