Volume effects with GPO

Started by NathanClark, June 17, 2006, 02:07:42

Previous topic - Next topic

NathanClark

Does anyone know how to get the channel specific volume effects (set volume, volume sliders) to work with Garritan Personal Orchestra? The global volume effects are working fine, but I can't figure out how to adjust the volume of individual channels or instruments.

LPChip

Is Garritan Personal Orchestra a VSTi or something?

If that is the case, you'll need to use midi macro's (Zxx) to control its dry/wet slider. You can even slide its value to get somekind of volume slide.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

NathanClark

LPChip - Yeah, it's a VSTi. The problem is, with GPO I can run up to 8 individual instruments with only one instance of the VSTi, but any effects  in OpenMPT seem to effect the VSTi as a whole, rather than each channel in OpenMPT or GPO. As a result, changing wet/dry with a midi macro basically has the same effect as using a volume control to change global volume.

I'm going to try grouping the instruments into several instances of the GPO VSTi, which should allow me to control the individual volumes, but unfortunately GPO is a processor and memory hog - I don't know if multiple instances will be able to run without skipping. I guess I'll find out

LPChip

Quote from: "NathanClark"LPChip - Yeah, it's a VSTi. The problem is, with GPO I can run up to 8 individual instruments with only one instance of the VSTi, but any effects  in OpenMPT seem to effect the VSTi as a whole, rather than each channel in OpenMPT or GPO. As a result, changing wet/dry with a midi macro basically has the same effect as using a volume control to change global volume.

I'm going to try grouping the instruments into several instances of the GPO VSTi, which should allow me to control the individual volumes, but unfortunately GPO is a processor and memory hog - I don't know if multiple instances will be able to run without skipping. I guess I'll find out

Yes that is the downside of using plugins.

You can load in several instances of the plugin in different effect slots, and assign each to a different instrument. This way, you CAN control each instance.

Another thing that should work is sending in volume commands.

C-4 01 v40 .00

Downside is: midi only allows transmitting volume commands when a note is also being transmitted. I believe but am not sure, that this will work too:

--- 01 v30 .00 but will not allow you to fine slide volume.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs