Samples and Instruments not making any sounds.

Started by RetronicsYT, January 03, 2021, 16:44:14

Previous topic - Next topic

RetronicsYT

I'm definitely not new to OpenMPT, but this has been occuring to me for sometime.
I load a sample or a instrument on a new file and it won't play, but when I close OpenMPT and do it on a whole new file it suddenly works???
It's weird and need help with fixing it because i've been just making a new file every time and losing progress.
"i am confused on what to do, yet i keep trying and it keeps working" -RetronicsYT

Saga Musix

To analyze the issue further, please answer these questions:
- Is it just that particular instrument or sample that doesn't sound, or are all other samples in the module also affected?
- Does it only happen with specific samples? If so, please upload an example file.
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, does the playback marker (vertical line) still move even though you don't hear anything?
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, does the timer in the lower-right corner of the window still run?
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, what does the statistics field in View -> Setup -> Sound Card say?
- Are you using ASIO for audio playback in OpenMPT?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RetronicsYT

Quote from: Saga Musix on January 03, 2021, 16:51:29
To analyze the issue further, please answer these questions:
- Is it just that particular instrument or sample that doesn't sound, or are all other samples in the module also affected?
- Does it only happen with specific samples? If so, please upload an example file.
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, does the playback marker (vertical line) still move even though you don't hear anything?
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, does the timer in the lower-right corner of the window still run?
- When you play the sample in question in the sample editor, what does the statistics field in View -> Setup -> Sound Card say?
- Are you using ASIO for audio playback in OpenMPT?
Sorry if I misunderstand some stuff, English isn't my first language.
-1 It is a particular sample everytime from around the 4th to 7th, it varies.
-2 It's random and it isn't specific.
-3 The marker moves, the sample does not play.
-4 Yes it does.
-5 It says: WASAPI Default Device (PortAudio)
-6 Yes. (I think. I just googled about it)
"i am confused on what to do, yet i keep trying and it keeps working" -RetronicsYT

Saga Musix

You're not using ASIO if a WASAPI device is selected (the two are mutually exclusive). What does the "Statistics" field at the bottom of the Sound Card settings say? Does it say "OK"?

As the playback still seems to be running, there might be an issue with the audio device itself. Do you use any other applications that might access the audio device (such as a web browser) while OpenMPT is running?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RetronicsYT

I'm so sorry that I'm responding this late.
Anyway no, nothing states anything in the statistics field.
If a web browser is open or not, the sound is silent on some instruments. I can't replace the sound card since it's built into my glued shut laptop.

Even if I could open it. I would probably break something since I am not tech savvy with modern electronics.

Saga Musix

QuoteAnyway no, nothing states anything in the statistics field.
Note that you have to open the settings dialog while trying to play the sample. When playback is stopped, it will indeed be empty.

There is no need to replace the sound card, don't worry. ;)