Tutorial for newbies

Started by Madhouse-Box, December 25, 2020, 20:46:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Madhouse-Box

Hi. First I want to clarify, that I do not speak English. I can understand a bit by reading, but not writing. I am using google translate so if there are grammatical horrors I apologize.
Okay. I've used Famitracker before, and although I managed to recreate some songs, I didn't take it seriously. That was a few years ago. Now I am in a project of a game, and I want to compose the soundtrack. I thought about using the Famitracker again, but the chiptune is not what I need, and searching the internet I found Openmpt.
I understand about the patterns, but the samplers don't. Also, I feel that the way of creating an instrument is different from that of the Famitracker, the truth is that I feel lost.
I know there is the wiki for the program, but I don't even know where to start looking for what I need, since I don't even know how much I can do with the program.
Also, as I said before, I don't understand English well. So, I wanted to ask for tutorials that are as simple and practical, visual if possible.
things like creating instruments, adding samples, the basics, I know, but explained simply. I apologize if this forum is repetitive, but on Google I find almost nothing that I am able to understand.

Saga Musix

Welcome to the forums. It would be useful if you could say what your native language is, maybe there are other OpenMPT users that speak the same language that can help you (or know tutorials in your langauge).

There is an English tutorial that explains the basics of OpenMPT. Since you have already used a tracker I don't know how useful it will be, but it should at least help you getting more familiar with the user interface. It will not explain how to create an instrument, but it shows you how to use existing instruments from other songs, which should help you getting more familiar with OpenMPT's workflow.

As Famitracker is based on synthesized sounds coming from a basic sound chip, creating instruments for it is naturally easier (in the sense the number of options is very limited). As OpenMPT is sample-based and supports instrument plugins, its sound possibilities are practically endless and are similar to those of most other music software. There are many free samples and plugins that you can use, do check out the Sample Sites and VST Instruments forum topics where you can find some good sources for samples and instruments.

I hope that helps!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Madhouse-Box

Oh, I speak Spanish.
I'm messing around with the program, at least I figured out how to load the default instruments, and write a little melody. It feels weird, since I've been so used to the Famitracker setup for so long, especially the key layout, I intersperse the semitones, when I'm used to the piano-style layout. But it has interesting options, I suppose it will be a matter of adapting.
By the way, I've already read the Getting Started, but those sample pages are interesting. as soon as I know what to do with that I will take advantage of them as I can. ;)

Saga Musix

OpenMPT comes with many different keyboard layouts and there is no shame in using a non-default layout if you prefer it. For example you could load the "US_mpt-it2_classic.mkb" keyboard layout file that ships with OpenMPT through the Keyboard Settings. Just click the "Import Keys..." button and follow the "More Keymaps" link.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Madhouse-Box

Oh, and me setting everything up by hand, there were keys that didn't sound ... I ended up reading the Getting Starter more calmly, there were things I didn't read, what a shame ... Seriously, thanks for answering these silly questions. But I have one last question: how do I make chords? Can it be configured from the instruments or with effects, or do I have to do it from several channels?

Saga Musix

Every channel represents exactly one note. Of course you can sample a chord (like in the old days) so that it only needs to be triggered with a single note in the pattern, but generally for the most flexibility you will put each note of the chord in its own channel. You can use the Chord Editor to configure frequently-used chords, so that they can be entered with a single keypress into the pattern.