Numbers presets VST do not remain.

Started by Alex TEHb, December 09, 2020, 11:50:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex TEHb

Why numbers presets VST of plug-ins in the bookmark "GENERAL" never remain?
After reset there is always number 1.
It is very inconvenient to choose every time them on - as new! And if VST is several, then it is possible and to forget and mix...
Maybe I not so do something? When too most you choose in "Instruments" - sometimes remembers number presets, but not always...
(It is about IT format modules)

Saga Musix

The current preset number is provided by the plugin. If some plugin doesn't give you the correct preset number, there is nothing OpenMPT can do about it. Which plugins does this happen with?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alex TEHb

I can precisely tell about "classic_series_VST".
And about others as already wrote: in the bookmark "GENERAL" any plug-in does not keep number presets; in the bookmark "INSTRUMENTS", about, 40% of VST keep presets, and 60% do not...

Saga Musix

I can confirm that the Classic Series plugins don't remember the program index, but it's okay because the preset parameters are still stored correctly in the module file. (Edit: I think this affects all plugins that don't save their program data as opaque chunks.)

The program number in the instrument tab sends a MIDI program change to the plugin; it's up to the plugin if this changes its preset (as seen on the General Tab) or not. In particular, those two cannot always be consistent for multitimbral plugins: A multitimbral plugin can have a different MIDI program on every MIDI channel, but there is only one global VST preset. Obviously this VST preset cannot represent every single MIDI channel. Some monotimbral plugins will keep the two consistent, some others won't. It's again not something that OpenMPT can influence.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Alex TEHb

I assumed that it is not OMPT, and in plug-ins.
Confuses that still only one (!) plug-in (Boogex) which remember number presets in the General tab got to me.
Well, we will test other plug-ins...

Saga Musix

There are many plugins where this mechanism works nicely, but it's mostly the ones that are more complex and have more parameters, because they are more likely to use opaque chunks for saving their settings.

In addition, more and more modern plugins no longer provide this information to the host because of Steinberg's push to make plugin vendors manage their presets themselves (mostly as part of VST3, but it also affects many VST2 plugins).

Alex TEHb

Maybe you will prompt VST "working" with presets?
First of all I am interested:
reverb
chorus
distortion

Saga Musix

All plugins will remember the individual settings, they just won't remember the preset name and preset number. You really don't need to look for different plugins just because the preset number and name are not remembered.