[OT Yet again] Need some home networking help.

Started by Squirrel Havoc, June 16, 2006, 07:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Squirrel Havoc

Hey guys, my wireless router has been discontinued I believe. so no more tech support from those guys, so I was hoping that this is a common problem among many routers that someone here can help me solve.

About 9 months ago, I got a Linksys wireless router for gaming online with my PlayStation Portable. After going through the setup process described on the software CD, I was up and running in like 5 mins. Everything went fine, wired and wireless worked great. Then there was a power failure that lasted no longer than a few seconds, and I was off the network. After fiddling with settings, and power cycling the modem/router/computer, I eventually got it working again. Now a few times durring that whole day of work, it would seem that it was working, then all connections were lost after less than 2 mins after I got it up and running again.

Then that kept happening, if the modem or router or even computer lost power, it would take me all day to get it up again, or I would just hit the reset button on the router to revert back to factory settings and reinstall everything.

Fast forward 3 months later, I sold my PSP, had no need for the router, so I shoved it in the closet. Just now I took it out and tried to hook it back up, but even starting from the beginning again, I can't get it working consistently. Wireless won't connect, wired won't connect, but I can ping the routers local IP adress, thats no problem, so I know it's not a connection between the router and PC. I am still using the same PC, same DSL modem, better service, but it hasn't changed from DHCP to anything.

If any of this sounds familiar, can you tell me what I did wrong?

If it doesn't, can you atleast tell me if there is a specific sequence in which you are supposed to power up thinigs? Like PC then router then modem, or does it matter?

I know this is a lot to take in, so thanks in advance.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

LPChip

The response to your initial problem with resetting can be solved by upgrading the latest firmware on the router itself.

I would recommend to do that prior to anything else, and there's a big chance that it will solve the other problems too.

Note that doing so will restore anything to factory settings. If you need to take a note of what you've configured, do so before doing the firmware.

If the router doesn't come up, check and see if the modem has a connection. If it has, make sure that the cable from the modem goes into WAN, and that the wan port light is lit.

First make sure that the wired computers are connected to the internet, before doing the wireless computers. Sometimes that jams because wireless connections can both be secure and unsecure.

to do that, login to your router from a wired connection. See the status tab (its always there, just find it :P) and verify that the router has a connection to the internet. If not, go through the steps to setup your internet connection. Most connections can just be set to DHCP. Some connections require you to have a MAC adress registered. If so, its best to clone the mac adres of your computer, and if you need to register it, visit the webpage of your isp.

On the router, make sure DHCP is enabled.

I will assume that at this point, your router will have a connection to the internet.

On your client pc, make sure that it gets an IP assigned automatically, and also the DNS and gateway adres is set right.

This should help your pc on the internet.

If wired is fixed, you can then do wireless. Its more tricky, cus you have to set a code etc, to protect outsiders from changing your settings unwanted.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

How do I get the MAC address of the PC?

About firmware, there hasnt been a new one since 4/05
-

LPChip

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"How do I get the MAC address of the PC?

About firmware, there hasnt been a new one since 4/05

Usually the router has a cloning option. If not, start->run->cmd, and type ipconfig /all
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

Well I read through your advice, and came to the conclusion that it's probably a faulty ethernet cable between the router and modem, so I got a new one, and so far it's working.

I'll post again if it screws up on me, thanks again  :D
-

LPChip

NP :) Glad I could help.

Pays of if you've been a network administrator :nuts: