Is their a way to use portamento fine on every note without replacing it?

Started by biolizardshadow, September 22, 2020, 19:52:00

Previous topic - Next topic

biolizardshadow

Just wanted to know if their is a way to use portamento fine to change the pitch of a note without having to place it on every new note that is triggered. (That can get very annoying)

Saga Musix

I assume this still has something to do with your previous thread about MIDI export so changing the middle-C frequency of the sample is most likely not an option for you.
If doing a Find&Replace over all patterns is also not an option, you can either try sending a MIDI pitchbend or RPN event:

Pitch bend: This is probably the most compatible. Since pitch bend events are not reset on new notes in MIDI (they are only cancelled by any follow-up pitch bend events), you could define a MIDI macro to insert a pitch bend effect on the specific MIDI channel at the beginning of the song (and anytime after a pitch slide happened on that channel).

RPN: You could use Registered Parameter Numbers if the target engine supports it. RPN 1 sets the finetune of a MIDI channel.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

biolizardshadow

This is a question about OpenMPT and the (MPTM format). Whenever I place down a portamento fine command it only lasts as long as that note is playing. Once a new note plays the effect stops and I have to replace it. I just wanted to know if their is a way to get the effect to continue playing until otherwise specified?

Saga Musix

No, pitch commands are always tied to the specific note they were triggered by. If you just want to detune all notes of your samples in general, you can change their middle-C frequency, or use a custom tuning for more complex pitch manipulations.
For VST plugins, you can obviously not change the sample frequency, you either have to rely on them supplying a finetune option, or you can try the aforementioned tricks for MIDI export (some plugins will recognize RPNs, but not all).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Depending on how much you want to pitch down, you can also use instruments with a pitch envelope. That way it always does that as part of the instrument.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Note that the resolution of the pitch envelope is just half a semitone though, so doing fine-tuning as implied by the topic title ("portamento fine") is not possible.

LPChip

If you have a long tail of fine tuning to reach a normal pitchbend of a semi tone over a long length, that still can be achieved with an envelope. But that is why I began with: depending on how much...

That said, it would be cool if there was a checkbox there that you can check which makes the entire range it can slide to 2 notes up and down, so that you can get much finer resolution.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

In the long run, I want envelopes to be much finer in the MPTM format anyway. Obviously the current resolution (64 steps) is to preserve backwards compatibility, but it should be possible to increase it to at least 256 steps, which would also allow for much finer tuning.

biolizardshadow

biolizardshadow

What is the maximum amount of note tunings that OpenMPT supports? I may have found a solution to my pitch problem, however, I will need 45 different note slots for custom tunings and I noticed that the note tunings wrap around. Is there anyway around this?

Saga Musix

You can play with the group size (how many notes there are in an "octave") and the group interval (the ratio at which an "octave" repeats, which is 2 by default so the frequency doubles every octave).
Alternatively, if there is no repeating structure in the tuning, you can also generate a "General" tuning from the New button, where you can give a custom tuning to each and every note.

biolizardshadow

Saga Musix

Well yes, it's a multiplier - specifically the one for the base note of the octave. It specified at which interval the octave repeats. As said, an octave typically doubles the frequency of the base note but it could be any interval you like.
Please have a look at this section of the manual if you haven't yet: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Tunings and https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Tuning_Properties

biolizardshadow

Well, I was able to get close to the end result that I was looking for. It's not exact as of now but it's a lot better than it was. One thing that I'm not sure about is how the Exx and Fxx effect commands work exactly and I'm talking about how it cycles through semitones to reach the specified tone. This might be wishful thinking on my part but is their a way to get it to switch (ONLY) between the tunings that the user has specified without it cycling through frequency's in between those tunings?

Saga Musix