.42 Problem with channels being muted

Started by Diamond, June 13, 2006, 00:08:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Diamond

Version 1.17.02.42
If the cursor is not on the first row, using the "Play song from cursor" and "Play pattern from cursor" commands causes channels to be muted.  So far I can't detect any consistency as to which channels are muted, but it usually seems to be the first few.  With "Play song from cursor" the channels are usually unmuted when the song transitions to the next pattern.  With "Play pattern from cursor" the channels are unmuted when the pattern loops.  My suspicion is that the problem might be related to the new "Unmute channel on pattern transition" command which was added a few releases ago.

Edit by mod: Title now contains version number.

Relabsoluness

At least I haven't noticed such behavior. That really sounds like a horrible bug to report(for example given the 'chaotic behavior') :)

Sam_Zen

Can't confirm this behaviour here neither.

LPChip

Is this bug consistent to your song only, or can you create a small example song where it happens also? Cus I have the feeling it has something to do with channel volumes etc...
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

In this example, move down to row 1 and channel 5 becomes muted until the pattern transitions if you use the "Play song from cursor" or "Play pattern from cursor" commands.  Move down to row 5 and all channels except for channel 4 become muted until the end of the pattern.
http://z11.zupload.com/file.php?filepath=31202

LPChip

Quote from: "message when pressing link"
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '://z11.zupl.......
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Diamond

Sorry screwed up the link.  Try it now.

LPChip

Hehe,

Okay, I can confirm that what you are facing happens here too, but its not a bug :P

You are leaving out numbers that indicate what the instrument should be.

You play the notes as follows:

C-4 01 ... .00
--- .. ... .00
F-4 .. ... .00    <-- this row will only be played if the first has been played. unless you change it to F-4 01

On the 5th channel, you started with entering the instrument number in the 1st column, and all notes don't have them. If the first isn't played, then none of the notes will sound.

This is how it always was, and is quite normal behavor. I don't considder this a bug either :P Therefor I'll close it.

Diamond

Quote from: "LPChip"Hehe,

Okay, I can confirm that what you are facing happens here too, but its not a bug :P

You are leaving out numbers that indicate what the instrument should be.

You play the notes as follows:

C-4 01 ... .00
--- .. ... .00
F-4 .. ... .00    <-- this row will only be played if the first has been played. unless you change it to F-4 01

On the 5th channel, you started with entering the instrument number in the 1st column, and all notes don't have them. If the first isn't played, then none of the notes will sound.

This is how it always was, and is quite normal behavor. I don't considder this a bug either :P Therefor I'll close it.

Thanks that was bugging me.  Unfortunately since I can't look at the pattern sometimes I miss little details like that, but I'm aware that this behavior is normal and it's certainly not a bug.

Diamond

I have a related question.  It seems that sometimes MPT keeps track of the instrument you've used on the first note and then automatically applies it to subsequent notes in the same channel, but not always.  I personally prefer this behavior.  Is there an obvious reason as to why sometimes it does this and other times it doesn't?

LPChip

Quote from: "Diamond"I have a related question.  It seems that sometimes MPT keeps track of the instrument you've used on the first note and then automatically applies it to subsequent notes in the same channel, but not always.  I personally prefer this behavior.  Is there an obvious reason as to why sometimes it does this and other times it doesn't?

It only does so when this have been played before. The reason is for chiptunes to take very little space, because you can remove data, and still get the same result.

Also: Modplug uses the previously played sound if you select instrument: none from the dropdown box.

Diamond

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "Diamond"I have a related question.  It seems that sometimes MPT keeps track of the instrument you've used on the first note and then automatically applies it to subsequent notes in the same channel, but not always.  I personally prefer this behavior.  Is there an obvious reason as to why sometimes it does this and other times it doesn't?

It only does so when this have been played before. The reason is for chiptunes to take very little space, because you can remove data, and still get the same result.

Also: Modplug uses the previously played sound if you select instrument: none from the dropdown box.

I don't mean during playback, I mean during creation.  If you assign an instrument to the first note in a channel, any subsequent notes that you enter in that same channel will have the same instrument automatically assigned to them, but for some reason this doesn't seem to work all the time and I'm wondering why.  The reason I had this problem to begin with is because I assumed this was normal behavior.