pattern play

Started by Sam_Zen, May 21, 2006, 04:58:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

I was testing a connection with a sampling device and wanted to play a single pattern of a module to record as a single sample. This appeared not to be easy. Pattern-play is default set to 'loop'.
I only could achieve this by copying the pattern after the end of the song and do a 'play song from cursor', because then the playback stops properly. Or save the single pattern first to a wave-file before using it.
An option "Play Pattern once" would be nice.

georg

Couldn't you achieve the same thing by adding a pattern after the one you wanted to record and muting the volume at the beginning of the second pattern? You would then have to remove the silence. In fact you could add a few rows to the pattern you wanted to record and cut the volume and slow down the tempo to a standstill at the same time.

Or am i talking about something completely different?
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

Sam_Zen

No you're not. These could be solutions too. And I did so until now.

But the option 'play pattern once' would be more elegant. Because other patterns of the song then would have exact
equal length. Lots of samplers start recording at the presence of a signal and stop at the point of absence of it.

In this case it's not enough to disable the 'loop pattern', because that would mean a jump to the next pattern.

It would need a 'stop at transition' command, just like at the end of a song with the last pattern in the row.
In fact there is already a 'stop at transition' situation possible with the 'play single row' command, but that's a smaller scale. The transition of steps.

georg

Yes there are workarounds but an elegant solution would be really nice. I agree. Any chance of this being implemented?
I'll never make sword-chucks...
Update - 2013 I still havent made sword-chuks.
Update - 2021 What the hell are sword-chuks? :((

speed-goddamn-focus

I don't really see the elegance of adding a multitude of functions that are extremely specific. Just make it a one pattern song.

LPChip

You can always do the following.

After the pattern(s), insert a -- in the orderlist. (song will stop here) and in the general tab, disable song looping.

Your orderlist should look like this:

[00][01][02][03][--][04][05][06][07]

It will play until pattern 03 and then stop.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 speed-goddamn-focus
It's about a single function, not a multitude. Besides the form of the chosen GUI-control, it's nearly just adding an existing subroutine to an existing function.
In this case the command 'start playing this pattern' from row one, or from the cusror. Once started, all available settings define 'what's possible to happen next'. Until now, you can choose to 'repeat the pattern after end of pattern', or 'continue with the next pattern on the patternrow after end of pattern'.
But a 'stop' command only acts immediately. No subroutine 'wait till end of pattern, then act'.

Making a one pattern song is indeed a solution too.

2 LPChip
A nice one ! I didn't know about this -- option. I just checked, and the problem is :
I can't find a method to insert the [--] in the pattern-row

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 speed-goddamn-focus
It's about a single function, not a multitude.
I've told myself a billion times I have to stop excaggerating.

Anyway, to insert a "--" in the pattern sequence list just press the "+" or the "-" key until you get one.

rewbs

This may be one very specific feature request, but one more like it and it will be a multitude. :) In fact I don't think this is the first so it alread is. :)

You can also render a specific subset of your patterns to wav by selecting the start and end order in the wav rendering window, then export the wav to your sampler.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 LPChip
A nice one ! I didn't know about this -- option. I just checked, and the problem is :
I can't find a method to insert the [--] in the pattern-row

You can also drag one of the right [--] patterns to the left ;)

I usually do: Rightclick, insert, press 0, press - (note, another - will change it to ++)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Thanks for the tips about the [--].

2 rewbs
Sorry for nagging, I wasn't aware of the fact that this question would lead to the same issue as discussed before.
But I must state, that there is no possible 'one more like it', because this is the only option still missing to make the real-time performance of OMPT perfect i.m.o. So there's no reason to request for anything more.

Of course as a solution I often rendered a single pattern into a wav-file. Save pattern 11 to 11.
This can be complicated sometimes by the way. Because there can be a difference in the number of the pattern,
and the number in the pattern-order. Twice pattern 10 in the order will mean that the second one is number 11 in the pattern-row.

Really Weird Person

Why wouldn't a tilde (~) work for inserting the tilde-like break? My bad, it is not tildes, it is three plus signs (+++). And the tilde does not work, I tried it. That plus and minus thing is interesting.

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Twice pattern 10 in the order will mean that the second one is number 11 in the pattern-row.

You can see the order number if you click on the pattern you want and look at the status field at the bottom of the window. The reason that you specify the order number and not the pattern number is that it's more flexible that way, you can save part of a song as well as an individual pattern.

Sam_Zen

This duplication of numbers in the pattern-row is cleared at another thread in the meantime.