Can't tick the MIDI box and therefore can not input any midi sound/notes.

Started by pipeguy_uhm, July 19, 2020, 03:30:24

Previous topic - Next topic

pipeguy_uhm

I've been making songs in OpenMPT for a while now and a couple days ago the MIDI box that you tick on and off for midi signal has been off and refuses to go on. Whenever i ckick it, it just takes me to the MIDI settings. Can anybody help me on this? It's been really annoying me.

LPChip

Does windows detect your midi device? Is it setup under Midi in? Can you give us a screenshot of your midi settings?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

If clicking the box takes you to the setup screen, it means that either
- no MIDI recording device is selected. Pick one from the setup screen
- the MIDI device you selected is not available for recording. This could for example be because another application is using that device. Most MIDI drivers on Windows only allow a MIDI device to be used by one application at the time.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pipeguy_uhm

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 19, 2020, 11:01:57
If clicking the box takes you to the setup screen, it means that either
- no MIDI recording device is selected. Pick one from the setup screen
- the MIDI device you selected is not available for recording. This could for example be because another application is using that device. Most MIDI drivers on Windows only allow a MIDI device to be used by one application at the time.
I have selected it and pressed "Apply" and "OK", still no blue MIDI box.
I don't quite think the second reason is the case. Just 2 programs i use are using MIDI input at any time, FL Studio and OpenMPT, the problem is that i don't have FL Studio open... but if another application is using MIDI input, how can i change windows to only allow only one at a time?

Saga Musix

To be able to troubleshoot this better, what is the device (name/manufacturer) that you are trying to open? Does the same device work in FL Studio?
Also, do you happen to use the MIDI Input / Output plugin that ships with OpenMPT?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

pipeguy_uhm

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 19, 2020, 15:01:29
To be able to troubleshoot this better, what is the device (name/manufacturer) that you are trying to open? Does the same device work in FL Studio?
Also, do you happen to use the MIDI Input / Output plugin that ships with OpenMPT?
The device's name is AKM320, it is a small midi keyboard from MidiPlus, and now that i see, it's not working properly in FL Studio either... it seems you were right, it says "The device is being used by another application. Alternatively, there may not be enough memory available"
And sorry, i wasn't able to understand the last question, could you elaborate?

Saga Musix

Quote from: pipeguy_uhm on July 19, 2020, 15:15:48
The device's name is AKM320, it is a small midi keyboard from MidiPlus, and now that i see, it's not working properly in FL Studio either... it seems you were right, it says "The device is being used by another application. Alternatively, there may not be enough memory available"
Okay, then I guess it's very likely that the problem is neither related to OpenMPT or FL Studio itself. It seems like other people also have issues with Midiplus devices on Windows 10. They do seem to have some up-to-date drivers on their website, maybe you can try installing that - or if you already did that, try uninstalling it because most MIDI devices are plug&play and should thus work out of the box without any vendor-specific driver.

OpenMPT has two ways of accessing MIDI devices; one is the recording feature you are trying to use, and another one is the MIDI Input / Output plugin. I was just asking if you were using the latter, because it's currently also not possible to use the same input device both for regular recording and through that plugin. It would have caused the same error as you encountered.

pipeguy_uhm

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 19, 2020, 15:22:18
Okay, then I guess it's very likely that the problem is neither related to OpenMPT or FL Studio itself. It seems like other people also have issues with Midiplus devices on Windows 10. They do seem to have some up-to-date drivers on their website, maybe you can try installing that - or if you already did that, try uninstalling it because most MIDI devices are plug&play and should thus work out of the box without any vendor-specific driver.
I'm trying to install said up-to date drivers but i am not quite sure which to install, as there are many different drivers and i'm not sure which one suits me. I installed 3 of them, of which 2 failed and one succeeded. And I am not sure if my problem is solved, as the box still refuses to go blue. I am unsure if i need to restart my PC, but it's probably not the case, as the installer said specifically that it was unnecessary to do so.
OpenMPT has two ways of accessing MIDI devices; one is the recording feature you are trying to use, and another one is the MIDI Input / Output plugin. I was just asking if you were using the latter, because it's currently also not possible to use the same input device both for regular recording and through that plugin. It would have caused the same error as you encountered.
[/quote]
Undertood.

Saga Musix

I have to admit that this is the first time I hear of this manufacturer, so I have no idea what their reputation is when it comes to drivers and compatibility. However, I remember that users have encountered similar issues with other devices with the same form factor (small desktop keyboards) from reputable brands such as Akai. The only USB-powered MIDI device I have here is a Korg microKey and I never encountered such problems with it.

pipeguy_uhm

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 19, 2020, 20:37:31
I have to admit that this is the first time I hear of this manufacturer, so I have no idea what their reputation is when it comes to drivers and compatibility. However, I remember that users have encountered similar issues with other devices with the same form factor (small desktop keyboards) from reputable brands such as Akai. The only USB-powered MIDI device I have here is a Korg microKey and I never encountered such problems with it.
Understandable. Thanks for all the help btw, i felt that you guys cared for my issue and tried to help all the ways you could.

LPChip

I once had this issue in the past where I changed the midi settings, but the icon would not lit up. I closed MPT and reopened, and it worked after that, even though it should work instantly. You can try that.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

They mentioned that FL Studio has the same issue, that makes it extremely unlikely that restarting OpenMPT can solve anything here.
But given the thread I linked, I wonder if it could be a power issue. Are you using a laptop or desktop PC?

pipeguy_uhm

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 20, 2020, 16:43:20
They mentioned that FL Studio has the same issue, that makes it extremely unlikely that restarting OpenMPT can solve anything here.
But given the thread I linked, I wonder if it could be a power issue. Are you using a laptop or desktop PC?
Nope, PC. I've updated to the newest version of OpenMPT and nothing, but one day it worked! For half an hour, that is. I am 100% sure it is a device problem than a hardware problem, but who knows