Edit previous end/next beginning patterns in pattern edit mode

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), July 12, 2020, 17:32:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi there,

Sometimes (often), when I'm editing a pattern, I'd like to be able to get an option to also edit the ending of the previous one and the beginning of the next one, which we can both see in grey, without having to select the patterns themselves. It would avoid having to select previous/next patterns for just editing those previous/next patterns ending/beginning zones, as I often do sort of crossfade transitions between patterns, which I have to edit and listen to a lot of time.

Also, I would love if clicking on a grey zone of a previous/next pattern would allow to play from it, even if we are currently editing the "center" pattern (the main one currently edited beetween previous and next)

Not sure I'm clear about that :-D

Saga Musix

I'm sure editing like that would be very useful but also at the same time very complex to implement, so sadly I don't see that happening anytime soon. Playing might be possible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Harbinger

Yes I have longed for this for a long time too, but even I know but this would be hard to implement. I think the only way that it could be done is for MPT to treat the entire track as one long series of notes and then group them off by pattern. But of course that would throw off the entire data structurization.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Maybe some double click on the previous/next patterns zones to edit them...

Saga Musix

While that may sound simpler, it is actually not that much simpler since the core code that would have to be modified for either options to work is the same; however it's not as impossible as Harbinger might make it sound. ;) The main effort would be to extend each any every pattern editing functionality that can span more than one pattern cell to be extended to work across multiple patterns. That's mostly a matter of effort (and thus time), not a matter of redesigning OpenMPT's internals.
Still, I'll have a look if the double-click option could be doable but I anticipate that it will require quite some work.

Edit: There is also a very old feature request for this ;) https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2952.0
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.