Would it be possible to live-loop w/ guitars & bass?

Started by Grid, July 11, 2020, 13:25:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Grid

I love the way Trackers work and ever since I started getting into OpenMPT and trackers overall about a year ago, I've long felt way more comfortable, skillful, and interested in them than I am with DAWs - at least for making electronic-oriented music, predominantly breakcore and IDM.
Despite that, on the side I play with a band, and I like to play guitar and bass myself and often make music that use those instruments, played live, or looped / recorded. I've found ways to make this work with Reaper and FL Studio, but I've been wanting to program breaks & sounds with a Tracker instead, routing all of my live looping through it instead.
I know I can pre-record a sample and then put it in a pattern and so on, but I'm wondering if there's any way I could just leave the program looping in the background with some drum patterns or keys, and play/jam over it recording my bass lines and guitar melodies over it just overdubbing them so I can make a song or a jam with myself on the go.
I'm not sure if there's any way to do this but I haven't found anything and I can't figure out a way for it myself. I really like working on purely electronic music in OpenMPT but I was wondering if ways I could implement my real live playing into it, aside from just sampling and mangling my own pre-made recordings. Cheers!

Saga Musix

This isn't something OpenMPT can do by itself, and even though recording is planned to be added at some point, it would probably not support traditional a looper setup. Maybe there are VST plugins though that can do that, I would try to research that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.