Switching from FL Studio to OpenMPT - worth it?

Started by 3131417, June 17, 2020, 07:34:38

Previous topic - Next topic

I've been producing experimental electronic music in FL for about 4 years. Recently I've been thinking of switching to FOSS, mainly for privacy reasons. I want to use Linux + OpenMPT in Wine. Has anyone done something similar? Could you please describe what limitations I'll have to deal with when adapting to OpenMPT?

An example of my music: https://files.catbox.moe/mu586i.wav

Saga Musix

OpenMPT works fine in Wine for many people. However, if your main motivation is to move to FOSS, I wonder if you have tried using LMMS yet? LMMS is a lot more like FL Studio so the move would probably be a lot easier. OpenMPT is in many ways more technical and "low-level" compared to FL Studio / LMMS due to its heritage from the 80s tracker concept.
If you have doubts, it might be a good idea to ask more specific questions, e.g. if certain techniques you are used to are possible to do easily in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

manx

herodotas

If you use sampling, LMMS is weak for that and it's buggy.  In general, trackers are good for experimental IMO, only limitation is OpenMPT dont have proper mixer yet.
life is darker than it seems

Quote from: Saga Musix on June 17, 2020, 08:48:20
I wonder if you have tried using LMMS yet? If you have doubts, it might be a good idea to ask more specific questions, e.g. if certain techniques you are used to are possible to do easily in OpenMPT.
I've tried LMMS, but OpenMPT seems much more interesting with it's tracker workflow. Two things I'd like to ask:
1) Are non-quantized arrangements possible? Meaning, notes not aligned to the grid. This can be used to, for example, "humanize" a drum pattern
2) It's quite important for me to be able to write automations for any (or almost any) parameter. Last time I tried learning a tracker, only specific values could be automated. What about OpenMPT?

jmkz

Quote from: 3131417 on June 18, 2020, 02:25:46
Quote from: Saga Musix on June 17, 2020, 08:48:20
I wonder if you have tried using LMMS yet? If you have doubts, it might be a good idea to ask more specific questions, e.g. if certain techniques you are used to are possible to do easily in OpenMPT.
I've tried LMMS, but OpenMPT seems much more interesting with it's tracker workflow. Two things I'd like to ask:
1) Are non-quantized arrangements possible? Meaning, notes not aligned to the grid. This can be used to, for example, "humanize" a drum pattern
2) It's quite important for me to be able to write automations for any (or almost any) parameter. Last time I tried learning a tracker, only specific values could be automated. What about OpenMPT?

1. I don't think so. What I do is use high value of ticks per row using modern tempo, for instance 12. This gives me some granularity to use SDx effect values for manual delay and that kind of humanization. As a personal preference I do this way to delay a bit the attack of instruments or samples, like playing a bass drum and a tom so both can be more distinguished from each. You can try combine note delays with tempo swing.
IT Effect Commands
Tempo Swing

2. Parameter Control Events

1. I don't think so. What I do is use high value of ticks per row using modern tempo, for instance 12. This gives me some granularity to use SDx effect values for manual delay and that kind of humanization. As a personal preference I do this way to delay a bit the attack of instruments or samples, like playing a bass drum and a tom so both can be more distinguished from each. You can try combine note delays with tempo swing.
IT Effect Commands
Tempo Swing

2. Parameter Control Events
This explains something, thanks!!