Getting "Unable to open sound device" error with Razer headset

Started by Serene0509, June 13, 2020, 17:06:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Serene0509

I got myself a new Razer headset with the Razer Synapse app installed, and this "unable to open sound device" now starts popping up for whatever reason.
And it seems like that OpenMPT is the only app to always get this error. All other apps (including some other music software I've been using for years like FamiTracker or Pxtone Collage) work fine as always.
I've tried reinstalling drivers, Synapse, rebooting, and disabling the "use device exclusively", nothing works.
Are there any other ways to solve it? I don't feel like using my old headset that has been in use for years, nor do I want to give up using this software because I did make some songs I'd never be able to do with other software.

manx

What sound device type do you have selected?
I will assume "WASAPI ... (PortAudio)" for now, because this is the default.

Does it work with with "MME" (you have to select "show deprecated devices" for "MME" to appear)?

Does it work if you select "WASAPI ... (RtAudio)" (again, you have to select "show deprecated devices" for RtAudio to appear)?

manx

Serene0509

Thanks for the fast response. I'm currently using 1.29.01.
Quote from: manx on June 13, 2020, 17:23:18
It shows "THX Spatial - Synapse" and "Razer Kraken Kity Edition" in the device manager. There's also an "Internal AUX Jack (THX Spatial - Synapse)" on the list.

Does it work with with "MME" (you have to select "show deprecated devices" for "MME" to appear)

Does it work if you select "WASAPI ... (RtAudio)" (again, you have to select "show deprecated devices" for RtAudio to appear)?
I don't quite understand this, is this configurable in OpenMPT itself, or do I have to modify it elsewhere?

manx

Quote from: Serene0509 on June 13, 2020, 22:59:57
Thanks for the fast response. I'm currently using 1.29.01.
It shows "THX Spatial - Synapse" and "Razer Kraken Kity Edition" in the device manager. There's also an "Internal AUX Jack (THX Spatial - Synapse)" on the list.

Does it work with with "MME" (you have to select "show deprecated devices" for "MME" to appear)

I don't quite understand this, is this configurable in OpenMPT itself, or do I have to modify it elsewhere?

Yes in OpenMPT. I was taking about https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Setup/Soundcard in all 3 questions.

Serene0509

Quote from: manx on June 14, 2020, 07:06:53
Yes in OpenMPT. I was taking about https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Setup/Soundcard in all 3 questions.

Thanks! It was using the ASIO option before, I switched it to the "WASAPI Speakers (Razer Kraken Kitty Edition) (PortAudio)" and it finally worked!

manx

Quote from: Serene0509 on June 14, 2020, 08:08:15
Quote from: manx on June 14, 2020, 07:06:53
Thanks! It was using the ASIO option before, I switched it to the "WASAPI Speakers (Razer Kraken Kitty Edition) (PortAudio)" and it finally worked!

Great!

Just to understand the original problem better, which ASIO driver did you have selected? What is your complete audio system setup (i.e. what other devices/soundcards are there in addition to the headset?)?

In any case, I think we should add at least the name of the sound device which OpenMPT failed to open to the error message. That would probably have given you a better in the first place.