[Modern classical] - Remorse - mp3

Started by erwat14, June 06, 2006, 20:00:55

Previous topic - Next topic

erwat14

Here's a song from my "Grodius" project which I hope will become a full- fledged game one day.  It's for, well, remorseful and other sad events in the game.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.myfilehut.com/userfiles/127370/Remorse.mp3

file size:1.6 MB
track length: 1:11
Hustle; loyalty; respect. . .
                 erwat14

My Original Game music: http://www.download.com/ervanwatersjr

AppO

Good classical track. Touch of violins seems slightly agressive to me (synth or samples I guess). Beautiful exercise indeed. Fully marketable. The emotion is here. Yes it's sad. You succeed in expressing remorse.

Bravo.

8)
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

erwat14

Thanks, App0;

You know, the string part is probably the only part of this song that I had hair-pulling fits while writing.  That's the nature of the beast when you use public domain samples, I guess; you can never really get them to sound quite the way you want them to.
                 erwat14

Sam_Zen

Why staying so dependent of ready-cooked public domain samples ? Why not make your own ? Ok, you need to get some skill to handle a wav-editor, but you have much more freedom to get what you want.

Afraid of the copyright-police ? Or just easy-does-it ? In the latter case, don't complain and make the best of it. :)

Seriously, if you want to make a sample of some violins playing a note, playback some symphony of some classical composer, and have the patience to find the right fragment, without any other instruments of the orch. involved.
You won't get sued for this because the sample will be too short to recall the original piece.

erwat14

Being an old music student in college, in some cases I do use live recordings and samples in my music,  I still have some "connections," if you will.  "Remorse" is just not one of those cases.  I wanted to stick with the usual soundfont samples to have the song, how should I put this. . . "mesh" more easily.  The next time that I post a song it'll have some of my live recorded instruments, for contrast, I suppose.
                 erwat14

rncekel

Well, I just tried to do what Sam Zen says, precisely with a violin... and it was terrible. Not only was really very hard to find a moment when no other instrument sounded (important: not even resonating, not even the note played before by the same violin!), but even when I found one, it was hardly useable. Violin is one the most dif-fuck-ult tasks to undertake, because if the sample is too short it will sound really unnatural. And not only that, the player will surely use some vibrato, but this makes very hard to use the sample (if you use the same sample, let's say a fifth up, the vibrato will spide up by 3/2). And, furthermore, you'll have the ambient noise to cop with...
I think that the only way to get a good violin would be to find a kind violin player, who doesn't mind play each note with a length of about 3 or 4 seconds, and record all.

erwat14

If you wanted to take the route of using a sample from a previously recorded performance, then perhaps a violin solo or chamber piece would be a better place to take a clip from.  Just an idea.  Yeah, getting someone to play a note live for you is much better, if you're able to do it.  I have a good friend from college who helps me with live recordings, so I don't have to worry too much about getting samples from other songs.  And remember, a recorded note at C4 will sound horrible at higher and lower registers, it'll just be that same C4 sample sped up or slowed down.  So if you do get a sample from the violin music, be sure to also get some above and below this sample as well,  so you can cover a wider range of notes.  :)
                 erwat14

xaimus

I wonder if the university I attend has a recording studio of some sort that I could use.  I've tried recording my violin once before, but the result was terrible.

I've been mostly satisfied with using instruments from gm.dls and drowning them in reverb.

erwat14

Well, if your university has a music program available, then there should be a recording studio somewhere around there. Especially for those majoring in music engineering and music production.  It's hard to imagine an institution of higher learning without a music program, but I've seen some. . .  Anyway, you say that you play the violin, are you a music student?  If you are then maybe you can finagle your way into a short session in your school's studio.  If you're not, then I don't think your chances of using it will be too promising.  At the University of Georgia where I attended, our administrators would sweat bullets if a non-music student even walked into the building!

If you can find it, the violin in the "Cadenza Strings" soundfont is pretty good.  It's a bit out of tune in the higher notes, but it's nothing a little tweaking can't fix.  :)
                 erwat14

xaimus

Quote from: "erwat14"Well, if your university has a music program available, then there should be a recording studio somewhere around there. Especially for those majoring in music engineering and music production.  It's hard to imagine an institution of higher learning without a music program, but I've seen some. . .  Anyway, you say that you play the violin, are you a music student?  If you are then maybe you can finagle your way into a short session in your school's studio.  If you're not, then I don't think your chances of using it will be too promising.  At the University of Georgia where I attended, our administrators would sweat bullets if a non-music student even walked into the building!

If you can find it, the violin in the "Cadenza Strings" soundfont is pretty good.  It's a bit out of tune in the higher notes, but it's nothing a little tweaking can't fix.  :)
Nah, I'm a CS/Math major.  I know that there's a general student "studio" for use in the basement of our library, but I don't think it has any recording capabilities.

I'm not sure what the music department's stance on non-music students is.  They do seem like a secretive bunch, though.  I've considered joining their ranks a few times.

Thanks for the soundfont name!  I'll look into that as soon as I get a decent Internet connection at home.