Questions about samples

Started by sindikatas, May 02, 2020, 18:38:32

Previous topic - Next topic

sindikatas

Hello, whenver I drag any drum sample in to Samples window, the drum sample's pitch is not as it is supposed to be. I tried searching in this forum for solution, and one person said that this is caused by not using the IT format. But I am using it. Another problem is that some samples I can preview by double clicking them, but when I drag them to the Samples window, nothing happens! I've found that I can drag it into the Instruments window instead, but the sample then becomes quieter.

Saga Musix

There can be various reasons for both of those things, so the first thing we'd have to know is what file format those samples / instruments are in, and if possible, a copy of those samples / instruments.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sindikatas

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 02, 2020, 20:53:45
There can be various reasons for both of those things, so the first thing we'd have to know is what file format those samples / instruments are in, and if possible, a copy of those samples / instruments.

I am using a .sf2 sound bank, so I don't know how to send you the separate samples.

Saga Musix

That explains a lot. SF2 is instrument-based, not sample-based. So while you can import an SF2 instrument into the sample editor, some data will get lost, for example note transposition. This is why it sounds different in the sample editor. You should always import SF2 instruments into the instrument editor.
Another thing to note is that OpenMPT's SF2 support is far from perfect so many instruments will not sound as intended, in particular from more modern or complex soundfonts.

There is also nothing wrong with instruments being "more quiet" in the instrument editor - the tree view's preview will preview instruments at 0dB (maximum volume) if no module is loaded, but when there is a module open it will use that module's (typically much lower) amplification factor. SF2 contains sample volume information so if some samples are too low in volume, you can try increasing their global volume if it's not at 64 already.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sindikatas

Quote from: Saga Musix on May 02, 2020, 22:07:28
That explains a lot. SF2 is instrument-based, not sample-based. So while you can import an SF2 instrument into the sample editor, some data will get lost, for example note transposition. This is why it sounds different in the sample editor. You should always import SF2 instruments into the instrument editor.
Another thing to note is that OpenMPT's SF2 support is far from perfect so many instruments will not sound as intended, in particular from more modern or complex soundfonts.

There is also nothing wrong with instruments being "more quiet" in the instrument editor - the tree view's preview will preview instruments at 0dB (maximum volume) if no module is loaded, but when there is a module open it will use that module's (typically much lower) amplification factor. SF2 contains sample volume information so if some samples are too low in volume, you can try increasing their global volume if it's not at 64 already.

I see. Thank you.