Performance issues

Started by le_parasite, March 30, 2020, 17:43:13

Previous topic - Next topic

le_parasite

Hi guys,

I use a lot effects on my music ( ok probably too much, but that 's the way I like it)  and despite a new computer configuration (See below) I'm still experiencing a lot of drop outs on heavy processed modules. It's not isolated drop outs but heavy deterioted constant sound.
I usee maximum latency (250ms) on Asio drivers running at 44100 / 32bit.

Of course the CPU,  RAM and disk usage are very low when drop outs happen, and there is no ressources greedy programs running while I use OpenMPT.

Any advice? Would it be possible to extand the 250ms latency to prevent those drop outs? ( I forced it in the advanced settings but it seems to stay the same 250 value used anymway)
I can provide any further information or video or else if needed.

System Architecture: amd64
CPU: AuthenticAMD, Family 23, Model 8, Stepping 2
CPU Name: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor         
Available CPU features: x86-64 sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 sse4.1 sse4.2
Operating System: Windows 10 (Version 10.0 (Build 18363))
Soundcard Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 ( drivers up to date) ASIO drivers.
Got some 32 plugin bridges running for some FX I never succeed to find in x64.

Stay Home Stay Safe.
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Saga Musix

Quote from: le_parasite on March 30, 2020, 17:43:13
Got some 32 plugin bridges running for some FX I never succeed to find in x64.
There's your reason, most likely. 32 bridged plugins is a lot of communication overhead, so you will have to drastically increase the latency to compensate for that. However with ASIO drivers that is not possible most of the time (after all ASIO was designed for low-latency audio), so you will probably have to resort to WASAPI playback if you want dropout-free playback with so many bridged plugins.

EDIT: FWIW I also have the Ryzen 7 2700 (without X) clocked at 3.2 GHz and I can play a song with 20 bridged plugins with ASIO and 5ms latency. Another song with almost 40 plugins also runs mostly fine (but almost all of those are VSTis so auto-suspend might kick in for many of them).
You may want to give current OpenMPT 1.29 test builds a try at https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/ as the plugin bridge performance and stability has been improved there. Maybe it helps.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

le_parasite

thanks for your reply, I 'll test with that new version.
However I experienced issues without 32bit plugins too, I use a lot of them ( probably around 40 too) and some have some huge ressources needs.
And I forgot to mention I use some plug tp enable an Aux Send behaviour ( to make make sidechain or bus FX) and maybe they're the worst in that game.
L∑ PДRДSiT∑______________________________________
I ғᴀᴄᴇʙᴏᴏᴋ I ᴛᴡɪᴛᴛᴇʀ I sᴏᴜɴᴅᴄʟᴏᴜᴅ I ʙᴀɴᴅᴄᴀᴍᴘ

Saga Musix

Well, all I can tell you is that your computer's components are more than capable of running OpenMPT, but of course it's always possible that certain plugins are too resource-hungry or other components / software of the system are responsible for the performance issues. There are just too many moving parts in a system these days to give a sound explanation why you have such issues.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

If you have x86 versions of the x64 plugins, you can try running the 32-bit version of OpenMPT and see if it gives you an improvement, given that you don't need to run in bridges, but I also hit limits when it comes to songs with resource heavy plugins, especially since these don't seem like they will be a resource hog, but if you have a lot of them, it stacks up quickly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs