Tablature

Started by Davi 6896, March 29, 2020, 22:42:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Davi 6896

How to make a tablature of an OpenMPT song with chord letters?

LDAsh

I was just wondering the exact same thing!  I want to commission a good guitarist to record some lead tracks.
I bet it's possible with some data-management if you can get all the notes in a text format, but the biggest problem is going to be - how to make it intuitive for an actual guitarist's fingers...  It would take a guitarist to write really intuitive tablature.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT cannot do it, and never will be able to do it. However, you can export your song to MIDI and then check if one of the usual tab creator softwares can import MIDI files.
However, since OpenMPT obviously does not contain any information about finger positions in its note data, you will probably have to manually tweak the result so that it doesn't use awkward finger positions.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LDAsh

Is there any way to dump notes from a file into a text format?  None of the formats I looked at are readable to me.
It's funny because I can manually select a whole channel in a pattern, copy, and paste it into Wordpad as text.
So something like this must be possible.

Saga Musix

For that I would also suggest to export to MIDI; I cannot recommend a specific tool but certainly there are dozens of not hundreds such utilities for MIDI files, since it's an extremely widespread format.
Of course you could also build a tool like that based on libopenmpt to do this directly with module files but I'm afraid I cannot help you there; my time is too limited.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Davi 6896

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 30, 2020, 09:03:33
For that I would also suggest to export to MIDI; I cannot recommend a specific tool but certainly there are dozens of not hundreds such utilities for MIDI files, since it's an extremely widespread format.
Of course you could also build a tool like that based on libopenmpt to do this directly with module files but I'm afraid I cannot help you there; my time is too limited.

How to export patterns to MIDI?

Saga Musix

You currently cannot export single patterns, you have to export the whole song. You will find the menu item for that in the File menu.

Davi 6896

OK. I exported to MIDI, but the tracks don't appear. What do I do?

Saga Musix

I... don't know? I mean, I cannot even guess from the screenshot which software you try to use the MIDI file with. If you can play it back with a regular MIDI player and you don't get silence, then you probably need to modify the exported file to work with the software you chose. You have to read up on that on your own, we cannot help you with that.

Davi 6896

The software is Power Tab Editor 1.7.