Video Synchro (bis)

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), February 16, 2020, 17:27:29

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Video synchro is something I had been asking if it would be possible, back then, but I think it was not because of the impossibility to know what is the song time position at any note position,and so the impossibility of real time changing a marker position in an embedded/connected video player.

But I just noticed that when I pause/continue a song at any pattern or even note position, time position is realtime updating, which seems great to synchronize to a video, isn't it ? (I had never noticed that, untill now (never too late :-D), so I'm wondering)

Saga Musix

QuoteBut I just noticed that when I pause/continue a song at any pattern or even note position, time position is realtime updating, which seems great to synchronize to a video, isn't it ?
While it may be one requirement for synchronizing video, it is by far the least important detail. Simply put, we neither have the time nor expertise to make such a feature happen. OpenMPT is and always will be a spare-time project and I don't think I will ever want to do anything related to video handling in my spare time. ;)

However, I think that VST plugins are the best way to achieve this feature, and there are in fact some plugins which can do what you want to achieve (sync video and audio). I think I recommended you to try mediavst from the pvst collection a while ago, did you ever try it? While it does not seem to handle all video formats that I tried, it synchronized audio and video perfectly.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Already tried this a long time ago, no use at all, unfortunately. I use Soundforge type programs (and LoopBe1 for MIDI synch), but very not the most convenient (start/stop/pause markers insert, etc).

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

No, I will do, thanks for the link ;-)

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

I just tested VidPlay with OpenMPT.

It seems definitely great, but lacking something: when we stop playing a song (and not only pausing it), it seems to reset the video time counter, even if we playback the song from some other point (it launches the video back from the beginning instead of matching the OpenMPT counter (which it does perfectly when only "pausing/playing", however)).

And one more thing (but it is the matter of VidPlay, I suppose), the possibility to place markers on the video, to start from different points, when working on the video.

With such features, composing for films with OpenMPT (which is what I've been doing for years, anyway) would be so much more practical, even near perfect.

Saga Musix

Quote from: RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER) on February 20, 2020, 12:49:06
It seems definitely great, but lacking something: when we stop playing a song (and not only pausing it), it seems to reset the video time counter, even if we playback the song from some other point (it launches the video back from the beginning instead of matching the OpenMPT counter (which it does perfectly when only "pausing/playing", however)).
The plugin should receive the correct timing information in both cases, so if one of them doesn't work, it sounds like a bug in the plugin. As the author explicitly mentions OpenMPT as a tested and supported host, you should tell them about your issue, maybe they can fix the plugin.

The same applies to your other suggestion. With a good solution already available as a plugin that only has some small bugs or lacking features, I feel even less that there is a need for having this as a built-in feature.

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

I'll try and contact them, you're right. Thanks again.