Can you change the sound output to be like Soundblaster / SB Pro

Started by burnout22, February 13, 2020, 18:47:24

Previous topic - Next topic

burnout22

This is my first post here and sorry if this has been asked before, but after searching via search i was so overwhelmed by the results that i still dont know what to do.

Got this nice little tool a couple of days ago as google search gave it out as result to play the music files of my DOS Game One Must Fall 2097.

Now my problem is that when i play the file its output sounds like played by a Gravis Ultra Sound card, but i need it to be like a Sound Blaster / Soundblaster Pro Sound Card. The reason why i need it so is, because the GUS version doesnt play some parts of the track.

The difference can be heard even in DOS-BOX if i change the Emulator sound output from SB Pro to GUS, so the missing parts have to be in the file.

Can anybody help me?

Saga Musix

I know the OMF2097 soundtrack rather well and I am not aware of any major differences between the SB and GUS versions and to the best of my knowledge, OpenMPT plays the files as intended. The only difference in the playback drivers used by the game that I am aware of is that the SB version plays some channels with "fake surround" (inverting the sample on one speaker), which is fully supported by OpenMPT. The GUS driver just plays them centered instead.
Can you maybe point out the parts of the soundtrack where you believe something is missing?

Also please confirm that you are playing the original PSM files from the game, and not a bad S3M conversion.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

burnout22

The differences are rather minimal, but still they are there.

I try and link a Youtube Video, not mine, that plays the Main Theme on different Sound Cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7SFoAOXeVo&t=0s

Listen closely at the end of the theme before it loops at 5:42 to 5:57(GUS) and then 1:44 to 1:59(SB Pro) or 3:42 to 3:58 (SB AWE32)

And for clarification is use my original Disk Version game files for comparsion. Either with DOS-BOX on my current pc or on my 486 with a SB Pro in it and this PC is still running from 1994 till now ;)

Saga Musix

Those weird blips are not part of the song, if anything they are bugs in the playback routine. I have no idea which pattern command could be causing them, maybe the Offset effects in that particular pattern. It becomes clear that this is a bug if you listen to the original MTM files in MultiTracker, because MultiTracker also does not play those sounds. The GUS version is thus the "correct" way to play this song.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

burnout22

Okay thanks for pointing that out.

Ill stay with my own recorded SB Version forever than, cause those little bugs are printed into my memory since 26 years and i dont want to hear the song without them  ;D