Open ModPlug Player

Started by sunshine, February 08, 2020, 20:48:00

Previous topic - Next topic

sunshine

Thanks for the information @Saga Musix. I want to patent all the technologies I developed under the GPL. I will need to do some patent research to be sure that these technologies were not developed in the past.
The reason why ModPlug Player is delayed so much is the new technologies I developed. After then making this subject clear, I am planning to make ModPlug Player completely open source.

sunshine

The most important thing is that I don't want anybody to take a proprietary patent for a technology that I developed. I want all the technologies I developed remain under GPL. I need more information for this case.

Saga Musix

Again, algorithms cannot simply be patented (in the EU and your home country). A patent isn't even valid world-wide automatically, achieving that is a long and expensive process. It's essentially futile for a single person.
If you simply release something under the GPL, that automatically means that noone can take it and use it in their proprietary software, because it's a "viral" license (the derivative work must be released under the GPL as well). You don't need a patent for that. However, someone can of course still come up with the same algorithm independently without ever having seen your code and use it in their software (and I see that as a good thing). This is in fact one of the reasons why software patents, as they are possible in the US, are so stupid and rather harmful to the whole programming community: Lots of trivial and obvious algorithms have been patented in the US, which means that you either have to pay silly amounts of money to the patent owners, or you have to work around the problem by coming up with a different way of solving the problem, even though you have maybe never seen the work of the patent holder in the first place.
Just search for "patent" in this collection of coding hacks for example to see the damage software patents can create: https://graphics.stanford.edu/~seander/bithacks.html
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sunshine

I want to protect especially my new designs under the GPL. I mean that I don't want anybody to take a proprietary license for my designs. If I release ModPlug Player source code, and add License.txt file of GPL, will all my designs be licensed under the GPL automatically?

Saga Musix

Yes, although to be extra safe you should add a notice in the header of every source file (e.g. using a verbatim copy of the license or by adding a SPDX license header).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sunshine

Thank you very much for the information Saga Musix.

sunshine

Source codes of new ModPlug Player will be released before the year 2022.
GitHub page of ModPlug Player is https://github.com/ModPlugPlayer

sunshine

ModPlug Player's license is GPL 3.0
All the libraries of the ModPlug Player (except for 3rd party libraries) are LGPL 2.1
Source codes of all the libraries can be accessed as like ModPlug Player from https://github.com/ModPlugPlayer
Probably tomorrow all of them will be able to be accessed.

sunshine

Some screenshots of the latest version of ModPlug Player. Please always write your comments.
Color selections for spectrum analyzer and vu meter can be done using gradient bar as it seems on the screenshot. Unlimited amount of color markers can be added and every color marker can be removed.

sunshine

Some other screenshots

sunshine

Spectrum analyzer and vu meter can do free-fall movements on both upwards and downwards. Peak markers also are able to do free-fall movements.

sunshine

ModPlug Player is open source now. All of its components are pushed to GitHub.
You can access to the source codes from https://github.com/ModPlugPlayer

Are there any compiled Windows binaries of Open ModPlug Player or is this only for Mac? I see the root folder only has an icns icon file not an Windows ico.

sunshine

ModPlug Player 2.0 is multi-platform. I am currently working for https://www.modplugplayer.org web site. In a few weeks, compiled binaries for Windows and macOS will be able to be downloaded from the web site.
Windows version uses images from MPP.iconset (I remember so, but I may do somethings for Windows version). I will arrange folder structure in the future, but there are a lot of things to do for now before that.
Yesterday I also prepared my Windows environment to prepare Windows binaries.
Windows version is compiled on MSYS2 environment and needs pkg-config package to be installed on MSYS2. Last time I compiled ModPlug Player for Windows was previous year, and so many things have changed. Even if you compile ModPlug Player on Windows right now, it may not work and seem correctly. Therefore, in a few week the web site and compiled Windows binaries will be ready.
Since it is compiled on MSYS2 environment on Windows, it doesn't need ico file for Windows, but I will also prepare an ico file, too, in the future for Visual Studio compatibility. However., Visual Studio compatibility is not soon so much.
The same things are also valid for Linux version. Previous year I compiled ModPlug Player on Linux, too, but so many things have changed. I will need to do some rework for Windows and Linux compatibility, but it will not take so much time.

StarWolf3000

Since you're hosting the source code on Github, you could set up Github Actions to trigger builds for all platforms (don't know if that would work for mac though) upon submitting a commit or PR.