OpenMPT always behind VST windows

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), January 26, 2020, 16:46:25

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi there,

It would be nice to be able to have the OpenMPT window IN FRONT of VST windows, when simply clicking on it, instead of always beeing behind them.

Indeed, that would be more easy to pass from one VST window to OpenMPT window, instead of reducing or moving the VST windows.

Currently, VST windows are always on top, which can be pretty annoying when working on a single not so big screen.

Cheers ;-)

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

By the way, I'm wondering if it's always been like this, in previous releases. I have a doubt.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT's behaviour is (and always has been, there was no change) similar to how most DAWs handle plugin windows - and it would very easy to 'lose' a plugin window if it ends up behind other windows (you would potentially have to minimize all other open document windows).
However, what might be helpful for you is to double-click the plugin window's title bar - this will minimize the plugin window so that it only consists of the title and menu bar, saving some precious screen space.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LDAsh

As a workaround, there are a couple of programs out there like AlwaysOnTop (https://www.labnol.org/files/always-on-top.zip) and there is another one that can apparently make any window semitransparent but I can't remember what it's called (www.lukepaynesoftware.com/projects/peek-through/) ?...  You might also look into "multi-desktop" software of which I'm sure there are freeware alternatives. - (http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/)

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Yes, indeed, but I just wanted not to have to minimize the VSTs, so they stay on my sight. OK then, I'll try other options.

LPChip

Honestly, I would not want OpenMPT to be in FRONT of my VSTi's, given that the VSTi windows don't have a taskbar entry. I would have to minimize my OpenMPT to access the VSTi's. I'd rather close them once I'm done with them, given that I don't use them most of the time, only when I create a sound and when I tweak during mixing/mastering. During composing I don't need them, so they are closed.

Maybe you would want to look into your workflow? Why do you need these windows open all the time? Is it because opening/closing is difficult? Could it be that your way of opening/closing is not the best way?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Exhale

I can imagine many reasons to want the vst interfaces open for extended periods of time... Many of the most useful scenarios I can think of would be in live performance.

Maybe open vsts could minimize to an even more compact version of the double click (the X, the minimize - and maybe a millimeter to pull on for moving it around.