Sample cues

Started by FWL, January 10, 2020, 20:14:52

Previous topic - Next topic

FWL

Hello Saga,

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the option for 'set loop start to cue' and then select the cue number like it is now. Because on a laptop without a mouse it can be kind of fiddly to have the mousepointer hover on a certain point and then assign a cue to it. This way you could also use the loop start marker and the numeric field for setting the start of the loop for slicing your sample with cues. Or is there another way to do this? Or should this question be placed in the issue tracker/feature request section?

Another thing that maybe could be implemented is some shortcuts for the lower half of the comment section where the sample/instrument pool resides. Maybe it would be nice to use TAB to switch between the sample and instrument tab and then use the Arrow keys to navigate to a certain sample/instrument and use Enter to go to this specific sample or instrument. I know that this functionality is allready available in the browser-tree so maybe its overkill but in the comment section the relation between samples and instruments is more clear, especially when a sample is used by more instruments or an instrument uses more then one sample.

Greetings,

FWL

Saga Musix

Regarding the sample cues, I am not too fond of the idea as it would be just a poor workaround. What I actually envision (but it's a lot of work to implement) is a timeline ruler in the sample view where you would actually be able to see all the cue points, visualized as little triangles or so, and then be able to move those around freely with the mouse and maybe keyboard: https://bugs.openmpt.org/view.php?id=659

Having more shortcuts in the comments section sounds sensible. I have actually added instrument preview there for OpenMPT 1.29, so allowing more keyboard-focussed navigation there would be useful indeed.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

Yes your idea is a much better implementation and in similar vein as to how this works in several software samplers. And my proposal was indeed meant as a cheap workaround that maybe was easier to implement, considering it's a labour of love that probably takes a lot of your time! But then again adding stuff that later has to be removed again isn't efficient either.

Thanks again for your response and looking forward to 1.29

Saga Musix

For what it's worth, two shortcuts for switching between lists and quickly editing the selected item have been added.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

Well, that's fast! Thanks!