[house] Speed 122 Hop

Started by AppO, June 04, 2006, 21:58:21

Previous topic - Next topic

AppO

Hi,

A more "recent" track this time (1999). Made with vanilla MPT.

Any feed-back apprediated.

http://www.jolimelodia.com/jolimelodia_Speed%20122%20Hop-2006.mp3

:)

AppO
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

Sam_Zen

Good sound-production. With a nice bass.
It starts ok, with some interesting breaks, but in the second part you seem to have trouble finding a proper idea for ending the song, so you introduce more and more instruments, but this makes it even more difficult.

AppO

Thanks for you remark Sam, you pitiless and requiring man. Indeed, it's often difficult to end a tune. You add and add instruments and then what ? No real end. I have to work on structures of my songs.

See ya.

AppO

:nuts:

Sam_Zen

I have been a composer too long to see that comments like 'nice' or 'excentric' are not very fertile for development.
So, if somebody asks my opinion, I analyze things and come with a report. Plus, Zero and Minus.

Structure indeed.
Since analog electronics this is called the 'envelope' of the song. The form of intensity in time you choose.
Also called the 'tension-curve'. How do you build up, lay back a bit, building up again, introduce the coming end, etc.

The drawback with electronic sound is the danger of things getting too long or with too much repetitions, because it's so easy. As long as there is electricity, it can go on, while you would get quite exhausted blowing a flute for 45 minutes.

Pesho_Zmiata

Heh yeah, its less pleasant to hear than the "great!" and "nice!", but it's definately the thing to increase quality :) The song would be more appropriate for a background, like maybe a menu for a videogame, or some latenight-ish radio show :D (not the vocal bits) And i agree, you should avoid the repetition, i always try to avoid it, and thats why my stuff doesnt usually exceed 1:20 minutes, and then i have no idea how to continue...

Rylo

Wow, I'm really liking this one! It has a real chilled out party kind of vibe. While the song is a bit long and I understand what Sam is saying in terms of it being difficult to find a way of ending the song, I do like this 'progressive' kind of music, and I feel the excellent beats (which have lots of changes) keeps the song fresh and moving along.

I'm guessing you wrote the song in MPT with a high tempo and the beat instruments more spaced out (double the spacing?) so you could include all those funky break ideas?

Sam_Zen

2 Pesho_Zmiata
I have nothing against repetitions, but they should be used as a conscious choice with some purpose, not because it just is possible.

Pesho_Zmiata

Well, what i mean is that you should always watch how the song develops through time, because too many similar/repeated patterns make the melody monotonous.

Sam_Zen

Nothing wrong with monotonous either. As lang as it is an intended part of the song. But this leads to another aspect :
Do you want to please the public, or do you want to make a certain compo ?

AppO

Hi,

Thanks for this interesting thread. I agree with Sam when he says that repetition must be a conscious choice. If you intend to produce hypnotic/danceable music, it's somethings natural, the repetition has a function, a meaning. It can be a fake repetition (micro changes subtly introduced, filtering). I refer to minimal house or dub like the stuff made by Maurizio or Plastikman (the most known artists of this trend).

See you.

AppO

:wink:

AppO

Sorry Rylo but I did not really understand your question :

QuoteI'm guessing you wrote the song in MPT with a high tempo and the beat instruments more spaced out (double the spacing?) so you could include all those funky break ideas?

What do yo mean, more precisely ?

AppO

:?:

Sam_Zen

2 AppO
Nice point about the 'fake' repetitions. They seem the same, but differ in tiny details.

I guess Rylo talks about the 'resolution' of the patterns.
You can do a song with a certain speed and every 4th row in the pattern a beat.
You can do the same with a double speed and place the beat per every 8th row in the pattern.

In the latter case you have much more 'empty rows' around the beat to place syncopated notes more precisely in time.

Nice signature by the way.