openmpt crashed.

Started by Svenni, November 28, 2019, 13:49:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Svenni

Hi guys.

openmpt crashed for me yesterday.

It saved the crash into the following dmp file (attached)

And left the original file at 0kb content.

I suspect the crash was due to some vst.  Is there anything that can be done? I spent weeks on the sound design in that track :)

Saga Musix

QuoteAnd left the original file at 0kb content.
This can only happen if the crash happened while saving the file, can you confirm that you did that? If you didn't save the file while the crash happened, it means that the file was still in the operating system's disk cache and was not written to disk yet, e.g. due to a blue screen or power outage.

The crash dump is 0kB too, so there is no information I can extract from it. If plugins were involved, there is a high chance that they were causing the crash, though. In general, you should have both autosave and backups enabled, to minimize the risk of losing songs due to a crash. Autosave is turned on by default so with some luck you will find the backups in the location specified in the settings dialog. Backup files should also be turned on by default so there should be a .bak file with the same name as your tune next to it, unless you actively turned off this option or were upgrading from an older version of OpenMPT where it was not turned on by default.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Svenni

Huh, it says that i cant upload any bigger files than 512k, but the dmp file is 70mb?

My replies to you have disappeared as soon as i uploaded.

Saga Musix

Yes, the forum won't allow such big attachments (we would be running out of disk space very quickly if everyone uploaded their full dumps :) ). Please use an external hosting service if possible.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Svenni

I never use such services. Is there any free service that i can use once, that you know of and can recommend?

Saga Musix

I don't use any of them personally but I think https://www.sendspace.com/ would be a good option. Note that there is a field for entering an email address to send the file to in the upload form but it's not actually required to fill in an address. Just paste the link here afterwards.

Svenni

Saga Musix

Got it. The crash indeed happens in Serum.
However what is more important is that you appear to be using a very old OpenMPT version (1.23, more than five years old). Unfortunately we cannot give support or provide bugfixes for anything but the latest versions of OpenMPT. Many things in OpenMPT have been improved since version 1.23, so it is quite likely that if there was some incompatibility between Serum and OpenMPT, it has already been fixed in the meantime.

On a side note, OpenMPT 1.29 will be released soon, and it will provide a much more stable plugin bridge than before, which should make it more feasible to isolate all VST plugins so that they cannot crash the main OpenMPT process anymore.

Svenni

No chance of extracting any of the tracker info?

Svenni

yeah, i suppose there isnt.

Bugger, weeks of work. (sound design mostly)

Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Btw, is the sound in the new version different than in the old 23 version i was using? Just updated and opened a file, the bass seems quite a bit louder.

Saga Musix

I cannot extract the module from a memory dump, but if OpenMPT crashes it usually should write a a backup of all modified and open files to %TEMP%\OpenMPT Crash Data. It's not always possible though, in particular if a plugin does stupid things.

QuoteBtw, is the sound in the new version different than in the old 23 version i was using? Just updated and opened a file, the bass seems quite a bit louder.
If you use the same settings, it should sound exactly the same. But there are a lot of settings that could of course contribute to the sound being different if they were modified. For example, in OpenMPT 1.23 the legacy "Bass Expansion" setting was not available in the 64-bit version of OpenMPT, but if you have previously upgraded from an earlier 32-bit version of OpenMPT, it is possible that this setting was still enabled (and just not doing anything). If you now updated to the current version, the Bass Expansion is available again and if it was previously enabled, it will be applied both in the 32-bit and 64-bit version. But that's just a guess.

Svenni

Svenni

Yeah, i finally found it, Openmpt crash files. Didnt find it yesterday for some reason.

But there is only a 45k crash dmp file for that date.

Though in that location i did find some other mptm files, from other crashes.  Maybe i will find something interesting to play with that i thought i had lost.

:D Have a great weekend man.