Possibility of microtonal tunings for OPL instruments

Started by xenaretos, November 25, 2019, 16:08:34

Previous topic - Next topic

xenaretos

Since I don't know the details of the architecture of OPL3 chips & their emulation libraries, I would like to ask whether it is possible or even reasonable (in case actual chip limitations exist) to implement the usage of tuning files for OPL instruments the same way they are used for regular samples without going into development hell such as rewriting external libraries or redesigning existing architecture (i.e. if implementation is shared with vst instruments and uses midi commands or something of that nature).

Right now they are ignored which, as I understand, must have been a design decision.

Saga Musix

It's not a design decision - it's merely an oversight due to custom tunings working very differently internally. I'll see if I can make them work for OPL voices in the next release (or OpenMPT 1.29).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

xenaretos

Oh. That was simpler than I thought. Thanks for the info and consideration.

Saga Musix

Incidentally I started cleaning up some tuning-related code lately so I was able to make OPL instruments work with custom tunings relatively easily. The changes won't make it into OpenMPT 1.28, though, they are too fundamental for that. However, OpenMPT 1.29 is not too far away into the future so this feature will hopefully be available soon.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.