Early note cut of a note with an effect already applied? (Combining 2 effects)

Started by Domarius, October 25, 2019, 02:49:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Domarius

My file format is .IT and I want to arpeggio (Jxx) a note, but I also want it to clip early, to create a stacatto effect (seems to be effect SCx). Is there a way to apply both to a single note? See attachment "arpeggio.it"

I tried doubling the resolution and the tempo to get the effect I wanted, but the tempo is all the way up to 255 and the arpeggio effect is sped up too, which is not what I wanted.  See attachment "arpeggio2.it"

I can't help but feel there must be a better way...

Saga Musix

Instead of increasing the tempo, you need to decrease the speed to 3 ticks per row. That way the arpeggio will still sound the same, but you will have double the resolution for placing note-offs.

Alternatively, you can try constructing arpeggios using an instrument pitch envelope, but this means that for each arpeggio chord you need a separate instrument.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Domarius

Ah thanks :) That did the trick perfectly.  I knew I must be missing something if I was already hitting the max tempo so easily.

LPChip

Another option you can play with is putting effects on the volume column, if you don't actually need to set the volume. For example D0F to volume down hard. It is not a note-off, but may sound very similar and good enough.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Domarius

The largest value it would let me do is D09, and it kinda worked, but not quite...

LPChip

Another option I can think of is using an instrument note off quick pitch down volume. You enter a note off, to make the note off envelope cut the note after a milisecond.

The drawback is that you cannot use note off's anywhere else to draw normal fade outs, but at those places you can usually fade out using dxx command.

You can of course get around this drawback by creating a copy of your instrument and set it up especially for these cases.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs