Author Topic: How does OpenMPT's "Approximate Real BPM" feature works?  (Read 76 times)

Offline Kyleroo

• Shy artist
  • Operating System: Windows 7
How does OpenMPT's "Approximate Real BPM" feature works?
« on: October 12, 2019, 13:04:51 »
Is there some kind of mathematical equation to get the musical BPM of a module? I'm using it as a tutorial to trackers in the future.

EDIT: I just saw https://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=6231.0 and https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Song_Properties#Tempo_Mode. But I'm still struggling to understand the manual. :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 13:19:09 by Kyleroo »

Offline Saga Musix

• OpenMPT Developers
  • aka Jojo
    • Download music, samples, VST plugins: Saga Musix Website
  • Operating System: Windows 10 x64
Re: How does OpenMPT's "Approximate Real BPM" feature works?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 13:10:47 »
The function computes the BPM based on the current tempo, speed and ticks per row according to the chosen tempo mode. The table in the linked wiki page explains how the computation works in theory, but in practice one has to take some rounding inaccuracies into account that appear only in classic and alternative tempo mode, so the end result is not exactly the same as those formulas would suggest.
ยป No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Offline Kyleroo

• Shy artist
  • Operating System: Windows 7
Re: How does OpenMPT's "Approximate Real BPM" feature works?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 13:13:05 »
The function computes the BPM based on the current tempo, speed and ticks per row according to the chosen tempo mode. The table in the linked wiki page explains how the computation works in theory, but in practice one has to take some rounding inaccuracies into account that appear only in classic and alternative tempo mode, so the end result is not exactly the same as those formulas would suggest.

Yep! I have read the other thread with almost the same* question and I saw your reply there.