Time stretch out the notes to a new tempo?

Started by Domarius, October 09, 2019, 02:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Domarius

Many times I find myself in this situation - I pick a tempo lay down a melody, everything seems right, and then (still only one pattern in, mind you), maybe when adding the harmony part, I realise I need more note precision than I have. I need to double the tempo, and space the notes twice as far apart to get that accuracy.

I wished there was a "time stretch" feature where you could select a range of notes, and then "stretch" the selection out to a new length, and all the notes in the selection would automatically be spaced apart to maintain their relative distance to fill in the new length of time.

I've usd this feature in different programs, eg. 3D Studio has this exact same feature for its key frames.  I just figured this might be a common problem for trackers and thought there might be some feature that helps me convert to a new tempo while maintaining the same song speed?

Saga Musix

Given the low resolution of patterns I have my doubts that such a feature would be very practicable for any actions other than doubling or halving the pattern / selection length.  But since you explicitely asked for doubling the tempo - are you aware that those two features already exist? There are two buttons for doubling / halving entire patterns above the pattern editor, and the same is available for selections - check out the context menu after making a selection.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Domarius

Ah yes, thank you :)  Yes I had a strong feeling a solution for my situation already existed, I just didn't know what to look for.  You're right about the low resolution, and those buttons are exactly what I needed.  And the Grow and Shrink selection will be very useful too.