What is the shortcut for Note off?

Started by Louigi Verona, October 02, 2019, 22:27:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

I am trying to set a Note off command in the pattern editor (==). However, I cannot seem to find any working shortcuts. I see this command in other modules, but I myself can only set it if I copy it from a module by someone else.

I've read this, but this does not work for me, the = instead gives me Note fade:
https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Keyboard_Actions#Note_Column

Can someone please help?

StarWolf3000

= is a primary keyboard key on QWERTY in the first alphanumeric row, but not on QWERTZ for example. OpenMPT has some extra keymaps packaged in extraKeymaps folder. You should load a keymap that corresponds to your layout. I for example have a german QWERTZ layout, so I use Saga's DE_jojo.mkb, which links Note Off to AKUT. But for me I changed it to something easier to reach and enter, and that is < key, which is in the lower left between left Shift key and Y on QWERTZ.

My customizations to Saga's file for QWERTZ:
  • == (Note Off) set to < key instead of AKUT key
  • ^^ (Note Cut) set to Shift + < instead of ZIRKUMFLEX
  • ~~ (Note Fade) set to Shift + + (plus sign) instead of ß (esszett ligature)
The keys mentioned in the Wiki are the default shortcuts for a US QWERTY layout, but you can customize each action in OpenMPT Setup dialog, even define multiple shortcuts for each action. In your case you would have to modify the actions in the Pattern Editor - Note Column category.

Saga Musix

Two things to keep in mind:
1. As StarWolf3000 pointed out, there are different key maps, so you have to go to the keyboard settings and find the corresponding key there. You can see all assigned keys there.
2. Not every format supports all note-off types. For example, == is only available in XM, IT and MPTM, as can be seen here: https://wiki.openmpt.org/Manual:_Patterns#Note_Column
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Ah, I should have given more information.

I am on a QWERTY keyboard, working in IT and XM files, the keyboard shortcut in the map was given as <, but it did not work (instead it put a note).

The only thing that helped was remapping Note Off to =, which then worked. Weird stuff, and thanks for the help, folks.

Saga Musix

Just a thought what could be going wrong here - do you have more than one active keyboard layout and if so, which? OpenMPT will try to map some note keys to all active keyboard layouts because otherwise, users would have to actively switch between those formats to be able to enter notes (e.g. Russian <-> English). It could be that the same process then claims a note key for what has already been registered as a note-off key.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Louigi Verona

Not sure I understand. My layout is ENG qwerty. I installed OpenMPT and started using it without making any changes to any of the default settings.

Saga Musix

If you only have a single keyboad layout installed in your operating system, then I really have no idea what could have caused the double key assignment, it doesn't sound like something that would come from the default keyboard mappings that ship with OpenMPT.

Louigi Verona

Tried it on a new laptop. Layout is QWERTY, English, no other layouts. Same story. Remapping note off to = works, but the default key binding of < does not, it instead puts a note.

However, one thing that might be very relevant, but I did not initially mention is that I am using MPT through WINE on a Linux laptop.

LPChip

If you load a different keyboard layout, such as the Impulse Tracker one, where 1 and ~ are for note off and note cut, do they work there? (just as a test) and what if you then switch back to default? And what if you manually try to set the key? Does it tell you it is already in use?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs