PLEASE give an artist some inspiration!

Started by nickythenose, May 30, 2006, 20:39:45

Previous topic - Next topic

nickythenose

Thanks to everybody for your feedback. Without meaning to I think you have shifted the dust from the creative bit of my mind and I am getting ideas.

I guess the main thing that I have got from your feedback is:

"If you don't play with it, it won't get better!"

Now, When I started mimiking the 12 bar blues chord progressions, I ended up with a nice sound, but i sed repeating patterns and not chaning the pattern to make it more musical, i lost some of the oomph that a real song has and unlike a poem i did not make it scan.

The first piece of music that I did was basically a good experement gone wrong and I had not paid enough attention to the idea of chord progressions and I should have applied the thinking I did for the second.

On the third piece I did, I ignored chpord progression entirely and just made something "nice" and it just seemed to work.

I guess the more random and creative head f*ck my experementation and research into music the better I will eventually be. all a learning experience

This will require some editing and a bit of the old mad scientist mentality.....

*test tubes of different colours bubbling suspisciously in the background, a black cat miaws, a perfect sillouette in the moonlight, LET THE MUSIC LIVE! Ha Ha ha Ha!*

Nicky

LPChip

Nice progression.

There's one note I'd like to share. Its something people are not aware of, but it exists.

Sometimes, you loose inspiration, because your "level of profession" (dunno the true word, so I made one up:nuts:) dropped below your average.

What I mean is the following: You make music, and with each track, you slightly improve. If you make a track that is worse than your previous 3 tracks, you are not satisfied, because you know you can do better than that. This is a form of "inspiration loss" that is common, and usually requires to either stop tracking for some time (week or longer) or change to a different style.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

mind expanding drugs seem to have worked for a lot of good composers...

they seem to have completely destroyed even more good composers tho...

Sam_Zen

The best critic is the maker itself, because he knows the mind and can make comments like :
Hey, you are just doing the same trick for the 4th time here...
This could lead to taking a break and consider.

Fishtankalpha

Wow...  This is really good stuff.  Inspires me a lot in my up-and-coming crunched deadline.  One thing I am okay at is putting together the chords.  I studied a little music theory.  Adjusting levels is tough for me, when it comes to melody, though.  For bass and stuff, I know what to make loud and what to make soft, but for the melodic components, I really am not sure about just... volume I guess.  I erally hope I can finish before tomorrow night.

Peace all,
jere

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Fishtankalpha"WAdjusting levels is tough for me, when it comes to melody, though.  For bass and stuff, I know what to make loud and what to make soft, but for the melodic components, I really am not sure about just... volume I guess

What I do is keep it realistic. Like minor variations on the volume per note, even if it's a freakin synth, just to add more realism. And deciding what level to put the melody at is really a matter of taste, and what sounds good. We all have an opinion of what sounds good, so it shouldn't be hard to figure out yours.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.