XM Retrigger Zero?

Started by Fleshbits, May 29, 2019, 13:27:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshbits

If the value of the retrigger is how many ticks later to play the note again, then what happens with r00, in the XM format?

Saga Musix

Same answer as to your previous question - a 00 parameter recalls the previous value. The "Mem" column in the effect reference denotes whether a command makes use of this kind of parameter memory or not.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Fleshbits

Thanks!

So if, I see r3 followed by r0, and my ticks are set to 3, then what I really have to do is treat the row like it has two sets of 64th note tripets and the note occurs on the third triplet of each?

Like this:
https://imgur.com/a/Ec3hGaZ

What happens with r4 if I only have 3 ticks?

Saga Musix

If the speed is set to 3 ticks per row, the Rxx effects in your specific example won't do anything. The Rxx command in XM is very quirky, so just from looking at the pattern I cannot predict how the retrigger would behave at different ticks per row. If you want an accurate transcription from the original XM into Cubase, I would recommend to export the original song (or at least the specific part that uses the Rxx commands) to MIDI and then import that file into Cubase.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Fleshbits

I've never been able to get midi export to work right.

If I try to export, choose "do not export" on all instruments except for 10, which is the hihat, and then drag the midi file in to cubase, I get 18 channels, with some actual data on 2 or 3 of them, and then when I examine it, is is several notes all at once, while I expect just a single note rhythm pattern. The notes also don't line up with what I have so far. The midi starts on like bar 324, but I'd expect it to start on 42 or 43.

Saga Musix

Are you on the latest OpenMPT release? A couple of MIDI export related bugs were fixed recently, which could explain some of the issues you have.
The notes not lining up might have something to do with the XM tempo mode; First off the tempo in XM is not very accurate (e.g. a tempo of 140 is not exactly 140.0 BPM), and second you need to set the correct rows per beat in the Song Properties. So for example if you use a speed of 3, you most likely have 8 rows per beat rather than 4, so the time signature in the Song Properties should represent that - otherwise the MIDI tempo (and thus bar position) will be way off.

Fleshbits

Just downloaded  1.28.05.00 to make sure I was on latest. Changed 4 rows per beat to 8, and exported again.
I got a midi track that starts about the right spot, but it still has 3 notes playing at once and some of them are very long, so don't resemble the closed hat part.

Saga Musix

Would it be possible for you to provide the XM file (in private if necessary)? This sounds like a bug that should be investigated and fixed.

Fleshbits

Here are some screenies of what I am seeing:

https://imgur.com/a/beFw4DB

Saga Musix

Thanks, I will have a look at the file but I will probably not be able to do so before next Monday.

Saga Musix

I had a look now and was able to fix this export issue.
r11632 will be downloadable from https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/auto/openmpt/bin.win64/1.28/ soon (only a matter of a couple of hours) and fixes the issue during MIDI export with missing note-offs. Alternatively, you can set the Transpose value of the samples you want to export to C-5. Right now it's F-7 for that specific sample. This will also make sure the export is done correctly.

Fleshbits

Excellent. Will give it a shot as soon as work allows me to breathe. Thanks for looking into it!