[Test] Electic Guitar (MP3)

Started by Pesho_Zmiata, May 30, 2006, 13:41:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Amount of Realism [from 1 to 6, 1 being terrible and 6 being indistinguishable from the real thing]

1 (12.5%)
4 (50%)
2 (25%)
1 (12.5%)
0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: May 30, 2006, 13:41:10

Pesho_Zmiata

Okay so im trying to recreate/emulate a more realistic electric guitar. I'd gladly accept any kind of tips/suggestions/comments.

Link

DavidN

That's pretty decent, actually - it definitely still sounds synthy, but it could be the start of an 80s pop-metal piece, or something. I can practically imagine the big hair and spandex.

Sam_Zen

Sorry, I have to be a bit critical here. First, I will not vote on just a short snapshot of something with a harsh ending.

This is a sound with some typical guitar-effects, like distortion, chorus etc. But, although I know what you mean by it, is there any difference in reality between the sound of an amplified guitar and an amplified pc ? If you hear it, it's real.

Pesho_Zmiata

The reason why its so short is because it's a test, and a conversion from another full song (my second ever actually) from 2-3 years ago. First part is the main guitar playing with the bass in the background, second is how it sounds without the main guitar. I was aiming for a more classical sounding kind of electric guitar, not many fancy effects and whatnot. What i dont like about most mods (mostly old ones, i havent heard many from after 2001) is that they have such sounding where you can hear alot of "clicking" and bad-sounding pitch tone as the notes change. I want a smooth sound, as if it was played by the real thing. Atleast as much as it gets with a tracker...

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Pesho_Zmiata"What i dont like about most mods .. is that they have such sounding where you can hear alot of "clicking" and bad-sounding pitch tone as the notes change.
I agree on that. But that's not the fault of the tracking system, but because lots of people treat their basic samples rather sloppy, with no attention to improve the quality.

Pesho_Zmiata

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
I agree on that. But that's not the fault of the tracking system, but because lots of people treat their basic samples rather sloppy, with no attention to improve the quality.
Exactly :) I'm trying to see how much i can improve the quality, because trackers have proved to be quite flexible.

LPChip

I don't like the sound of it either... Its too synthy, nothing crunchy like a real guitar. I got very good results actually.

This: http://lpchip.com/sharing/guitarriggs.ogg

I made this song using an instrument (.iti) and applied a G-Amp Classic VST over it. You can tweak it all you want and get what you're after, but with way better result.

Because it's an .iti, you can pitch (as heard in this example).
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

speed-goddamn-focus

I voted 2, not because it sounds bad but because it doesn't sound like a guitar. much.

AppO

The objective is not to emulate a real guitar but to make a sound that makes you feel good. I like this sound. It's not one of an electric guitar, but it rocks.

AppO
The Humble Craftsman aka Viktor Ugo-Appas aka Jolimelodia

Pesho_Zmiata

Pah, i guess i'll be sticking with a more synthy sounding thing... Thanks for the feedback!

Sam_Zen

2 AppO
Nice point about the real objective.

SoundCrafter

Cool synth, not exactly guitar...but cool. I gave it a 3 (w00t!) only one! BTW, could you let me in on the setup for this sound? I'd like to implement it into some of my tracks, if that's alright with you.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Asharin

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "Pesho_Zmiata"What i dont like about most mods .. is that they have such sounding where you can hear alot of "clicking" and bad-sounding pitch tone as the notes change.
Yeah editing samples well is a fine art sometimes, especially getting loops right :D
I can't honestly say I've actually edited anything other than a voice sample in about a year now, since I switched to using totally VST instruments nowadays.
Oh wait, tell a lie, I used a sample of a heartbeat on the track I'm working on now hehe.

As for the sound, definately sounds synthetic, or at least some weird amp effect. I personally don't like it, but I could probably use it if I was making a track.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.