Modplug.com down

Started by TheRealByteraver, March 18, 2019, 22:31:50

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRealByteraver

Hi
I got a bit anxious in the past few days when I noticed modplug.com is down. I guess this site is not under the same management as openmpt.org, but I used it as a transitional page to get here. Somehow I never made a conscious mental note of the different domain name. Unforgivable for somebody working at a hosting company ;)
Anyway, will it get back up again? Anybody knows?
It seemed obvious somebody would've mentioned it here before but I didn't find any post related to it at first sight.

Peace
- Erland

LPChip

I've sent a message to MisterX who hosts modplug.com. :)

Thanks for the heads up.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Just stop using modplug.com, there is no point in it. But if MisterX finally decided to no longer run his own page there, it would be nice if he transferred domain ownership or at least pointed its CNAME to openmpt.org.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

MisterX mentioned that he fixed the issue. He has plans to turn it into a single page application though... whatever that means. I'll tell him your wish Saga. Maybe he'll agree.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I see absolutely no point in turning it into a SPA or put any different kind of content there, since the site has been stale for years. This may sound harsh but from what I can see, the only reason modplug.com doesn't point to openmpt.org is that it creates ad revenue which OpenMPT developers don't see a single cent of.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheRealByteraver

Is MisterX intentionally called this way because his name is not to be uncovered or is that actually his nickname? ;) In which way is he related to Modplug / Olivier L. ?

Saga Musix

It's his actual nickname (as you can see he hasn't logged into this forum for more than 6 years). He ran modplug.com since the very beginning, when it was still relevant and when it was stil a lot of work to run such a site. Back then the site was pretty nifty, with a huge music download section and other stuff. But at some point the server crashed and there were no backups, so since then modplug.com has been more or less a placeholder site with questionable additional content such as online Sudoku, which was added (IIRC) when the Sudoku craze was getting big and everyone was looking for online Sudokus (so yes, I'm sure this mostly exists to generate ad revenue). It irks me that this page hasn't been used for anything useful (i.e. redirecting to openmpt.org) for more than ten years, and no, putting different content on it won't solve the problem. It will only confuse the people actually looking for OpenMPT/ModPlug Tracker, as this thread has proven. There is simply no point in having different content on modplug.com because everything needed by OpenMPT users is already on openmpt.org.

Midori Mizuno

If anything i sorta kinda like this functionality, it can bring some inspiration when you have totally no idea for a title (i know there are tons of generators like this online though)