[Electronic/Demostyle] Showdown & LPChip - Missionairy (mptm/mp3)

Started by LPChip, March 17, 2019, 18:48:41

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

In Topic: [General Chatter] Finish the Draft Stardown posted a draft and said:
Quote from: Stardown on March 16, 2019, 05:00:54
Another draft I just created, but I'm not sure where the song should go. Patterns 1-5 is an unfinished intro, but the main loop part is Patterns 0 and 6. It makes use of the new OPL instruments. I'll bet LPChip might have some fun with this one ;)

I had some time and wanted to do some music, so I decided to give the song a listen, and I liked it so decided to take on the project.

I did turn the song into a different direction because it seemed very limited if I had continued the direction the song was going. Its a pitfall I have had on a few of my own songs too.

I did have to fix the volume as the channels were too loud which made new stuff get drowned easily. So once that was sorted, I started to work on the tune and it went fast and smooth. In total I think I worked 3 hours on it before it was finished then maybe 15 to 20 minutes of ironing out some last found small errors I made.

The final result can be downloaded here MP3, MPTM (in zip file).

I hope you like the tune. Feel free to leave a comment below. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Stardown

Very nicely done! I actually wasn't expecting the song to go in this direction, but it works!

bloodonmoon

LPChip

Thanks, both of you. :)

When I heard the draft I felt like it would really benefit from an explosion of energy. The buildup was very good, but where it headed next seemed like the song was lost on itself. Like you go on a holiday to this amazing place that everyone talks about, but when you reach the destination country, you get lost and can't find the direction.

I felt the song was at this stage. It shown great potential, but then the potential was unused. So the first idea I had was to remove the bass that was introduced and build a drop, then introduce that bass and some drums.

I decided to go for some drumloops. When I added the drumloops, I felt like it was seriously lacking bass, which caused the impact I wanted to not be there.

A ParamEQ later fixed that. I got the punch out of it on the drumloops but now the bass itself was not punchy enough. Added a 2nd bass to fix that, and that's how the song started. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs