Making an Instrument vs. Using a Synth

Started by I-S3-O, March 13, 2019, 21:42:58

Previous topic - Next topic

I-S3-O

I have been wondering this question for a while, and I just want to know if there is a definite line between the choices.

I know there are times that I want to be able to modify a synth's properties (e.g. filter cutoff, LFO oscillation depth, etc.), but when does that become a bad thing to do?

Any pointers?

Saga Musix

I don't think the question is quite clear. Is this about using purely sample-based instruments versus VST plugins? The simple answer is that neither is bad, use whatever is most suitable for the situation. Sometimes can even be of advantage to render some notes of a plugin to sample to be able to manipulate them, and play the rest directly through the plugin. Neither is a "bad" thing.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

I-S3-O

I ask because previously, in another episode, you mentioned the proper way to make an instrument. So that made me wonder when I shouldn't. But...I think you answered my question. Thanks.

Saga Musix

If it's merely about using "pure" samples versus putting samples in instruments: I pretty much always go for instrument mode because of all the extra options it gives. I almost always use envelopes, volume fade, and filter settings. But there is no right or wrong, if you don't need any of it, don't use it. But using samples without instrument mode won't save you from the pitfalls in the linked thread, although it might be more obvious when things go wrong why they go wrong.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.