The new FM support is awesome!!

Started by Domarius, March 12, 2019, 03:24:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: nikku4211 on March 19, 2019, 18:08:18
Still, if Scream Tracker 3 doesn't have OPL3 support, why did you give OpenMPT OPL3 support in the first place rather than just stopping at OPL2?
Simply put: Why would I go and rip out the OPL3 parts of the OPL3 emulator, especially since MPTM can use some OPL3 features? You cannot think of S3M and MPTM implementations are two separate things in the OpenMPT code - 99% of the implementation is shared, so there is no simple "just use OPL2 features and throw away all OPL3 features" thing in the code. However, your complaints have been successful, in the next OpenMPT version you won't be able to use the extra OPL3 waveforms in S3M files, even though it makes the code more complex.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

That's probably going to break my example song then... Can you save it as mptm format and include it like that then? Unless you make it so that one can choose... :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

No, it's not going to break existing songs, you just cannot use it in new songs anymore.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

nikku4211

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 19, 2019, 19:43:25
However, your complaints have been successful, in the next OpenMPT version you won't be able to use the extra OPL3 waveforms in S3M files, even though it makes the code more complex.

I'm okay with the S3M extensions, I was just curious. For compatibility, that's what we've Compatibility Export for.

Also, this move would've actually broken compatibility with OpenMPT-extended S3Ms using OPL3 waveforms if you weren't as careful as you were.

Saga Musix

As I already wrote in reply to LPChip: No, it won't break existing songs. When removing non-standard features, I always make sure that they can still be used with legacy files.

nikku4211

Quote from: Saga Musix on March 19, 2019, 20:15:09
As I already wrote in reply to LPChip: No, it won't break existing songs. When removing non-standard features, I always make sure that they can still be used with legacy files.
Yeah, I posted without reading, but I did edit it accordingly. That was fast, though.

Domarius

Well I guess if the OPL3 specific stuff is locked out of S3M but still able to be saved with MTPM, that is the way it "should" be I guess :)  Very cool.

nikku4211

R.I.P. The Ability To Make FM-Extended S3Ms
2018-2019

Right when I was just experimenting with ya.
I will never forget the fun I had.

Yes, I did not upgrade OpenMPT, and yes, I can just make MPTMs. I'm waiting until 4-op support is added first.

The Hoodie Guy

Quote from: nikku4211 on April 14, 2019, 14:24:46
I'm waiting until 4-op support is added first.

So... 4-op instruments isn't supported in OpenMPT yet, even though the emulated OPL3 is there?

Well, guess I had to go back to AT2 for 4-op experimentations. Never liked the keyboard only interface on that tracker, tbh  :-\
But still, OpenMPT already solved my needs for 2-op experimentations.

Midori Mizuno

Don't give up your hope yet, Saga is planning to implement full OPL3 at some point

Saga Musix

OPL3 support is about more than just adding two more operators to the GUI, so it will take some more design in particular on how to handle the extra modulation possibilities with those other operators.