Set volume copying the previous entry.

Started by miketerminal, March 10, 2019, 20:43:51

Previous topic - Next topic

miketerminal

Is there any way to revert back to the set volume command defaulting to zero instead of copying the last volume command you entered? Any help would be appreciated.

Saga Musix

It was requested several times that effect memory should also apply to the volume column just like it does for the effect column, so it was finally changed in OpenMPT 1.28. Maybe you can explain why you prefer the old behaviour, as I cannot see anything too useful in it. The only time the old behaviour could have a potential advantage is when entering a volume less than 10, in which case you wouldn't have had to enter the leading 0. But apart from that, new and old behaviour are exactly the same regarding the amount of required editing steps.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

miketerminal

It's just hardwired habit that pressing v = volume 0 to use as a volume cut off. I've been using modplug for 19 years so I just got thrown off really hard because it's constantly in use and every time I'd set a volume change at a sample placement and then jump a few steps down to choke it off it would just repeat the prior one/not zero. If there's not an option to shut that off I can just get used to it but I wasn't sure if I was missing an option to revert it in the general/miscellaneous options section. Thanks for the info.

Saga Musix

No, currently there is no such option. I know adjusting muscle memory can be painful but maybe there is a better option, and by that I mean that "v00" is often not the best way to stop a note. Which format are you working in? In the IT/S3M/MPTM format, entering ^^ in the note column also kills the note instantly but you wouldn't have to move the cursor to the volume column to cut the note that you just entered. Maybe that would be more useful than going back to the old behaviour?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

miketerminal

That will be useful for times when I'm not looking to reintroduce the volume of the same sample later. I use the volume commands as a manual envelope so if i cut if with volume the point is to leave the sample playing in the background to reintroduce it a few lines down or have the option to cut it in and out as long as the sample hasn't ended. I'll just get used to pressing 0 every time I want zero. Nothing wrong with disrupting pathways and I'm no stranger to modifying old behaviors (thankfully).