VSTi note-end problem?

Started by geckon, March 07, 2019, 20:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

geckon

Hi there,

I've been using OpenMPT with VSTis for quite a while and have had generally few problems with it. One of the persistent problems that has occurred with different VST instruments, however, is that the volume of a VST instrument is "reset" to the highest volume possible when I send a note-end command (==). This is undesirable because other notes played by the same instruments get louder, and the fade-out gets louder as well.

The problem can be remedied by using a volume effect command next to the note-end command, but this is tiresome to do over and over again.

This has occurred on several different VSTs, including Roland Sound Canvas VA, SampleTank 3 (free version), etc. I thought I might be missing something because others have probably also experienced it when using VSTis with OpenMPT.. Is there any way I can fix this behaviour?

Thanks for your help.

LPChip

Do you happen to have auto-gain enabled? If so, disable it.

Also, a compressor or limiter on your track will essentially do the same thing if misconfigured.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

geckon

Thanks for your quick response. I have OpenMPT at the default settings, so there's no auto-gain enabled (unless it's on by default). I don't have any other plug-ins other than the VST (the same thing happens on a fresh project, with nothing added but a VST and one note).

Saga Musix

I'll grab Sound Canvas VA (Roland Cloud Manager is annoying as always so this might take a while...) but generally this should of course not happen, and I have not seen it happening with other Roland plugins. LPChip's suggestions are both extremely unrealistic (yes a compressor or automatic gain control will make things louder, but certainly not in an instant and whenenver a note-off is encountered - in particular automatic gain control is not capable of doing that), if it's not a plugin bug I'd more expect some weird instrument settings or pattern data causing this problem. Generally it's always handy to have a minimal test file to reproduce the problem with.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

geckon

Oh, I forgot to mention it, but I have volume command handling set like this for my VSTs.

Thanks in advance.

Saga Musix

Ah yes, I see now, this exact combination of volume configuration parameters is causing issues. I'll have a closer look during the weekend.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

geckon

Thank you! Having someone look into this would be a great help.

Saga Musix

The problem has been identified and will be fixed in the next OpenMPT version.

Saga Musix

If you want, you can try out recent test builds at https://builds.openmpt.org/builds/auto/openmpt/bin.win64/1.28/ to see if the bug is fixed for you.